Southern Braised Cabbage is tender and rich with flavor, with apple cider adding just a hint of sweetness, and Autumn.
I adore fresh vegetables, cabbage among them, but the flavor can often times seems so very plain and boring. Southern Braised Cabbage is a simple recipe that ensures tender tasty cabbage chock full of flavor that will be a welcome addition to your table. It is also very economical, not to mention healthy.
Try serving this alongside a roast or with chopped steak, corned beef or pork chops.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces smoked pork or smoked turkey, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. vegetable base or instant bouillon
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- Place onion, garlic and smoked pork in a large saucepan and saute until the fat renders out of the pork and the onions become translucent. If there is not enough fat, supplement with a little bacon grease, or olive oil (your choice).
- Add the apple juice, vegetable base and enough water to cover, and mix well.
Bring mixture to a boil,m then reduce heat, cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about an hour.