Tender cabbage rich with flavor. This will make a cabbage lover out of you! A classic of Southern U.S. cooking style. The apple cider adds just a hint of sweetness, and Autumn.
I adore fresh vegetables, cabbage among them, but the flavor can often times seems so very plain and boring. This simple recipe ensures tender tasty cabbage chock full of flavor that will be a welcome addition to your table. It is also very economical, not to mention healthy.
Try serving this alongside a roast or with chopped steak, corned beef or pork chops.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces smoked pork or smoked turkey, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. vegetable base or instant bouillon
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- Place onion, garlic and smoked pork in a large saucepan and saute until the fat renders out of the pork and the onions become translucent. If there is not enough fat, supplement with a little bacon grease, or olive oil (your choice).
- Add the apple juice, vegetable base and enough water to cover, and mix well.
Bring mixture to a boil,m then reduce heat, cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about an hour.