Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is deliciously moist and diabetic friendly banana bread with chocolate chips.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I have called this the unholy love child of Martha Stewart’s banana bread recipe. I am not crazy about all her recipes, nor am I crazy about her attitude towards food bloggers. But her bread looked like a good jump off point for a quick bread, and some of her recipes are actually outstanding.
As a departure from her recipe, I don’t use any nuts and the sweetener and flour amounts had to be adjusted. My bread also baked faster than what she called for, although it may have had something to do with the pan. Did you know that different types of baking pans can change the bake time? Always a good reason to keep an eye on your food and go less by time and more by condition, which in this case, should bake only until a toothpick inserted in the center can be removed without wet batter clinging to it.
I also used sugar-free dark chocolate in this, because I had it on hand, but you can use regular dark chocolate instead, of course. I sometimes do eat Frankenfoods like that, not because I think they are that healthy, but because I am diabetic, and a girl has to do what a girl has to do. Right?
Sometimes I also thin icing (I do this a lot with sugar free tub frosting) or melt chocolate and make a bit of an attractive drizzle on top of the bread but didn’t when I shot the photos of this. It usually depends on my mood, because the drizzle does add richness. You could also bake this up in muffin cups, but the bake time will change.
I hope you do give this one a try!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped sugar-free dark chocolate
- Butter a glass loaf pan (one pound size).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream/whisk together soft butter and Splenda with eggs, adding eggs one at a time and beating until fluffy.
- Whisk in baking soda, salt, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Chop chocolate bar or grate finely and stir into flour.
- Add flour to egg mixture and stir to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about an hour, until a toothpick can be removed from the center without wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool bread in the pan 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and completely cool before slicing and serving.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime. com
You might also like:
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!