The title of this recipe is sort of misleading, calling it a “dump cake.” True, a few ingredients are literally dumped into a pan and baked, but the end result is not a cake.
It is actually more like an apple crisp. From a cake mix just dumped into a pan.
Seriously, this only takes a couple of minutes to make and throw into the oven. So if you were looking for a good excuse to not have time to make dessert, you won’t have any luck here. So when the Sunday Supper group announced doing a theme on NO LABOR recipes for Labor Day, I instantly knew that this was one of the easiest recipes I know.
And you can change it up with different pie fillings from apple to cherry or peach, what have you. But it is September and I am kind of in the mood for apple, so that’s what I did. Of course, my sprinkle of spices I will only vouch for pairing with apple. Although a little bit of cinnamon will go with most fruits, such as peach, cherry, and blueberry. If you want fine-tuned spices for the other fruits, you will have to be patient and wait for a different post. I don’t want people messing up and putting the wrong spice mix on the wrong filling and then looking at me cross-eyed. So we will just keep it simple here. You guys like simple right? Simple it is.
As part of the Sunday Supper Movement, I and a host of other food bloggers are pleased to present to you some of our favorite labor-free recipes to enjoy with family and friends this Labor Day weekend.
Savory Snacks and Sides:
- Acorn Squash, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadillas by Our Good Life
- Copy Cat: Momma’s Nachos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cream Cheese and Peach Chutney Pastry Cups by Soni’s Food
- Easy Peasy Cole Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fruit & Cheese Platter by The Freshman Cook
- Olive Tapenade by Whole Food | Real Families
- Smoked Salmon Spread with Sourdough Baguette by A Gouda Life
Labor Free Main Dishes:
- Ace of Clubs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Salad Endive Boats by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Butternut Squash, Zucchini and Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pesto Chicken with Fennel & Tomato Couscous by Books n’ Cooks
- Simple Cheese Enchiladas by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Simple Grilled Rosemary Shrimp by Nosh My Way
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Mustard Barbecue Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes by Food Done Light
- Spicy Thai Noodles by Momma’s Meals
Sweet Treats and Drinks:
- Apple Spice Dump Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- Coconut Martini by Desserts Required
- Creamy Coconut Popsicles by Food Lust People Love
- Eiskaffee by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Healthy Grab’n’Go Breakfast Muffins by Happy Baking Days
- Mini Pavlovas by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Step Vanilla Sauce by Magnolia Days
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Bars by Pies and Plots
Apple Spice Dump Cake
- 16 ounce package yellow cake mix (weight may vary slightly)
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread the apple pie filling into a 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
- Stir spices into cake mix.
- Sprinkle half the cake mix over the apples, then drizzle with half the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the remainder, drizzling the rest of the butter on top.
- Sprinkle walnuts over all.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Serve warm or cooled with ice cream.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like: