Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for Sunday Supper again! And what a surprise! The Sunday Supper TasteMakers have gathered at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort in Orlando Florida for the 2016 Food Wine Conference and will be settling down for a good meal, and one of our other favorite things (a good chance to talk about food!) Sunday evening at the Tapa Toro restaurant in Orlando, where we will be wining and dining with paella and tapas! Join us at 7pm EDT and you can chat with everyone LIVE!
And for this event we are all making tapas of some sort or the other. And you might wonder what a tapas actually is.
Well, it is a bit less than glamorous that in the days before screened windows, those who relaxed for libations might have to fight off gnats and other little flying critters the same way we still do at a picnic.
Fortunately, we have glass windows and screens today. But in the time of getting used to having a piece of ham or bread to top the drinks, people occasionally got to enjoy those, and while starting as a pro bono addition from the bartender, people also came to expect them. Perhaps its where the tradition of bar nibbles comes from, although the arrays of appetizers at some gastropubs far exceeds the quality of a questionable bowl of peanuts tossed down next to your beer.
So tapas have grown from lowly beginnings to become quite gourmet, and the type and variety really can astonish.
For my tapas, I wanted to do something simple, something perfect for hot and sultry weather. Being in Florida has exposed me to humid 90ºF+ temps for the first time this year. And even though (as I write this) I haven’t gotten down to Florida yet (I fly down tomorrow) I do remember living in Florida (Satellite Beach) and how oppressive the heat was that just not cooking at all seemed a wonderful idea. No hot kitchen. No overly warming food. So many times we ate a lot of fruit and other cold and ready nibbles. And the melon balls with serrano ham, fresh cheese, and basil is my perfect idea of what to have while sipping wine. I hope you think so too!
Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese
- 1/2 Ripe Cantaloupe, cut into melon balls (pref. same size as cheese)
- 8 ounces Ciliegine Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Serrano Ham
- 15 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cocktail Skewers
- 2-3 tablespoons Balsamic Reduction
- Skewer pieces of melon and mozzarella with a bit of Serrano ham and a basil leaf in between.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction and serve.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Spanish Tapas & LIVE! #SundaySupper Twitter Chat
Hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Fried Almonds with Thyme by What The Fork Food Blog
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- Huevos Rellenos de Gambas (Deviled Eggs with Shrimp) by Our Good Life
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Stuffed Mushrooms by The Chef Next Door
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortillita De Camarones by the healthy fit foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- Venetian Cicchetti: Italian Tapas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricots by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You might also like:
Disclaimer: Thank You to Tapa Toros Restaurant for providing a meal and a venue to promote this post while I attended the Sunday Supper Live! 5.15.16 event. All opinions in this post are my own and do not reflect any opinion or recommendation of the venue site whatsoever.