Biscuit Topped Peach Cobbler
By Sue Lau |Palatable Pastime
This week for #SundaySupper the theme is summer peach recipes. I have loved peaches since I was a small child! I remember being with my family when my Mom would plan day trips in the summer to different parks and points of interest in the area around St. Louis Missouri and southern Illinois. We’d driven down old Route 3 many times- they call that highway the River Road as it stretches southward toward the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, and so very close to the river it does wind for some time, with many magnificent river views down off the bluffs in the delta area. As we’d get south of Carbondale, going to one of Mom’s favorite spots- the Trail of Tears state park, we’d go through Anna Illinois, and there were many roadside stands that would sell immense local peaches. Mom would tell me years later how she would watch me holding my huge peach with both hands, burying my tiny face in it. It was like a kid eating a watermelon by himself- those were some huge peaches!
As I got older, my Mom would sometimes buy those frozen peach pies and I was never as satisfied as when they were made from fresh fruits. And while that may have suited her in the dead of winter, I always looked forward to the summer months when the market would start getting peaches in- in those days all the fruit was local because the presiding peach variety, the Elberta peach, simply did not ship well because once picked it wouldn’t ripen any further to be brought in from more southern places. But when shopping in July, markets were filled with the aromas of fresh ripe fruit and it would simply fill the room like a peach potpourri or pomander. And there is nothing like the smell of a ripe peach to get one going and ready to make up any variety of peach recipes, and there are so very many ways it can be done! So be sure to scroll past the recipe to see all of this week’s ideas.
My idea for this week happens to be a biscuit topped cobbler, which truth be told is not a cobbler as I knew it growing up. It seems sometimes the lines between different types of fruit desserts can blur, and a cobbler in one area is not the same as a cobbler in another area. And growing up I knew a cobbler to be like a pie with a top crust but no bottom one, while in other places a cobbler meant a fruit filling topped with a slightly sweet biscuit dumpling. I do enjoy both, but since I’ve already posted a crust topped peach cobbler, it seems the next stop should be the biscuit topping, so without further ado, here it is. Until next time-
Biscuit Topped Peach Cobbler
- 2 pounds fresh ripe peaches (about 7)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut a small “x” in the bottom of the peaches then blanch in boiling water one minute, then plunge into a bowl of ice water (I do these a few at a time). When cool, tug at the skins around the x to remove, and slice in half along the natural folds, pry apart (I use a butter knife to pry if they don’t separate easily) and remove the pits. Then slice or chop peaches as you wish.
- Place the peaches in a bowl with the remaining filling ingredients and stir, then turn out into an oblong baking dish or casserole.
- Mix together the dry ingredients for the biscuit topping in a mixing bowl, cutting the butter in with a pastry blender until crumbly and flour mix is the size of small peas, then stir in the milk to form a dough.
- Drop biscuit dough by rounded spoonfuls on top of the filling in the pan. It doesn’t matter if some filling shows here or there and is in fact preferable.
- Bake the cobbler for 25 minutes or until top is golden.
- Serve warm with ice cream if you like.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Hosted by Sue Lau of Palatable Pastime (yep, that’s me!)
- Cherry-Peach Bruschetta by Dessert Geek
- Grilled Peach Caprese with Blackberry Balsamic by The Crumby Cupcake
- How to Make Peach Gazpacho with Cucumber by Asian in America
- Peach Blueberry Burrata Quesadilla by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peach Pancakes with Peach Maple Syrup by Magnolia Days
- Peaches and Cream Crepes by A Mind Full Mom
- Peaches and Cream Smoothie Bowl by Family Foodie
- Brandy Peach Lemonade by Nosh My Way
- Citrus Peach Sangria by Sunday Supper Movement
- Dairy-Free Strawberry Peach Smoothie by Cooking Chat
- Frozen Peach Margarita by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Peach and Blueberry Wine Slushies by Cooking with Carlee
- Peach Ginger Bellini by kimchi MOM
- Trà Đào (Vietnamese Peach Tea) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Ginger Peach Freezer Jam by Peaceful Cooking
Sides & Salads:
- Fresh Peach Cucumber Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Peach Panzanella Bread Salad by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Peach Caprese Salad with Balsamic Syrup by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peach, Tomato and Mint Salad by Our Good Life
- Chicken, Peaches, and Arugula on a Focaccia Roll by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Peach & Basil Flatbread by My Life Cookbook
- Grilled Peaches and Shrimp Shish Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
- Peach Glazed Pork Chops and Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
- Pork Tacos with Grilled Peach Salsa by Baking Sense
- Roasted Flank Steak with Fresh Peach Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Any Fruit Custard Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Biscuit Topped Peach Cobbler by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Peach Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Blueberry Peach Coffee Cake by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peach Cobbler Minis by April Golightly
- Frozen Peach Cheesecake by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Peach Apricot Crisp by Desserts Required
- Grilled Peach Melba by Hardly A Goddess
- Honey Almond Ricotta Stuffed Grilled Peaches by She Loves Biscotti
- No-Churn Peach Pie Ice Cream by The Redhead Baker
- Peaches and Cream Cobbler Popsicles by Crazed Mom
- Peaches and Cream Pie by Cooking on the Ranch
- Peach and Pistachio Tart by Caroline’s Cooking
- Peach Sherbet by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peach Honey Pecan Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Peach Willy by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Peach and Lime Sorbet by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Peaches & Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Simple Peach Cobbler by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Spiked Skillet Peach, Pecan and Blueberry Crumble by From Gate to Plate
- Streusel-Topped Peach Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Summer Fruit Pie by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
You Might Also Like: