By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
One of the very Amish type autumn desserts I see often here in Ohio during late September is apple dumplings. They are also quite popular among the Pennsylvania Dutch (we have a lot in common as states, at least foodwise). And when you have a rush of apples from apple picking they can be a fantastic dessert or even an interestingly sweet breakfast item for special occasions.
For #AppleWeek I decided to make this recipe for Wednesday, which is when my blogging friends and I are sharing apple recipes which are sweet treats. The apple dumplings themselves are like little baked pies, not as difficult to make as you might think. The syrup that goes around them and bastes them thickens up and is mostly taken up by the dough as it gets basted each time. The end result caramelizes the pastry, leaving it perfect as is or even more wonderful with ice cream added.
This recipe is actually bittersweet for me, as this part of Ohio is rich in orchards and Amish cooking, and this is a recipe that I associate with this area more than any other which I have lived. But there is a great possibility that this may be my last autumn in Ohio after about twenty years as the possibility for relocating for work-related reasons arises. But no matter where I go, Ohio will always hold a place in my heart and you can be certain it will be reflected throughout my cooking, even if my new locale next year brings new foods and new trends.
We like trying new things, right? I feel like Bilbo the hobbit, “Quite ready to go on that next big adventure, and don’t forget second breakfast!” I do hope you enjoy and don’t forget to see the recipes below listed day by day, new recipes added each day all week long. Until tomorrow!
- 4 medium baking apples, such as honeycrisp or golden delicious, cored
- 2 tablespoons raisins or craisins, with 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix together dry ingredients for dough, cutting in the shortening with a pastry blender or fork.
- Add milk and stir until dough forms a ball; chill one hour.
- While dough is chilling heat cider, sugar and spices with butter on the stovetop, stirring until sugar dissolves; allow to cool while waiting for the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Roll out dough into a large square and cut into fourths.
- Place each dough square on a piece of waxed paper and roll out thin, trimming off dough to form nice squares (keep the trimmings for now).
- Wash apples and dry; core with a coring tool or knife.
- Rinse raisins with water and drain them just to get them wet, then coat with the brown sugar.
- Place apple on rolled out dough square and fill center with raisins.
- Bring corners of dough to center and shape the dough around the sides and bottom, pinching seams closed and trimming off excess.
- Make a stem and leaf shape with excess dough if you like, wetting it with a little syrup then pressing onto the dough.
- Spray the bottom of a glass square baking pan with nonstick spray and set apples in it.
- Pour syrup around the sides (but not over the top just yet).
- Bake for 15 minutes then baste the dumplings with the pan syrup.
- Bake another 15 minutes and baste again.
- Continue baking 15 more minutes or until golden brown, basting one last time.
- Let cool in pan 15-20 minutes to give them time to firm up.
- Serve warm with additional pan syrup, and milk or vanilla ice cream, if desired, depending on if it’s a dessert or breakfast item.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
Apple Cider Margaritas by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Cheddar Pinwheels by Cooking With Carlee
Apple Pie Smoothie by Feeding Big
Applejack Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Caramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries by Feeding Big
Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
Sage Pork Chops with Apple Pan Gravy by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork by Cooking With Carlee
Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
Apple Brown Betty by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cider Caramel Sauce by Cooking With Carlee
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread by Feeding Big
Apple Dumplings by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Swirl Buns by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Brown Butter Apples by Cricket’s Confections
Mini Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Nana’s Apple Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around The Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
Apple Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
Apple Cinnamon Pancake Mix in a Jar by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Potpourri by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Apple Suncatchers by Crafty Mama in ME
Caramel Apple in a Jar by Family Around The Table
Homemade Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Knit Apple Hat by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple and Peppered Bacon by Feeding Big
Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
You might also like: