Vietnamese style pour-over coffee sweetened with condensed milk in the traditional style.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Winter Warm-Up Drinks
Blogging friends are sharing favorite beverage recipes- take a peek!
- Aquavit & Tonic by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cinnamon Cookie Butter Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Peppermint Bark Hot Cocoa by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vanilla Coffee by Our Good Life
- Vietnamese Coffee by Palatable Pastime
Supplies for making Vietnamese coffee consist of a phin, which is a small stainless steel pour-over pot that sits atop the coffee cup during brewing. It has the steel filter, also an insert for tamping down the coffee, a lower drip pan, and also a lid. Other supplies include Vietnamese coffee, which is a French style dark roast, condensed milk, coffee cups, a measuring spoon, and of course, boiling water. I have included affiliate links in the ingredient list if you need those- you can view them on Amazon by clicking that red link. You might also find them at local Asian markets- but you might have to check several, as not all probably carry that.
Getting ready to brew Vietnamese coffee is pretty straightforward and simple. Place the coffee in the bottom of the metal filter and tamp it down with the insert.
Then place that on top of the lower drip pan to hold it over the coffee cup (which you prefill with some condensed milk). Then you add a small amount of boiling water to soften and saturate the coffee, which takes about five minutes.
At that point you would finish filling the filter cup with boiling water and put the cap on to keep it hot while it drips through into the cup. It takes another five minutes to finish, and you can peek to see when it’s done.
Then remove the lid and invert it to use as a tray for the filter cup, and place the lower drip pan on top of that to keep things tidy and not dripping all over the table.
Stir up the condensed milk from the bottom and enjoy.
The recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, which upon clicking, show you the correct product on the Amazon site. Clicking to view costs nothing to you, but this site will earn a commission if you purchase that or any other product during your Amazon visit, which helps support this site by defraying overhead costs. Thank you so much for any support you can offer!
- 1.5-2 tablespoons finely ground Vietnamese coffee or dark roast coffee
- 1-2 tablespoons condensed milk
- 4.5 fluid ounce boiling water
- Place coffee in the phin and tamp down gently with the insert.
- Put condensed milk in the bottom of the coffee cup.
- Top cup with the phin and the base.
- Pour one ounce boiling water into the phin and cover; let grounds absorb the first ounce for five minutes.
- Remove cover and fill with boiling water (about 3.5 ounces) and cover again.
- Let coffee finish dripping through, then invert cap and place the phin on the cap, and put the base on top of the phin.
- Stir and enjoy.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com