Tex-Mex style breakfast burritos stuffed with sausage, peppers and potatoes, smothered with a a creamy chile gravy.
Wet Breakfast Burrito
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is with Foodie Extravaganza when we post recipes as a group, this month on the topic of potatoes for National Potato Month.
My selection is for wet breakfast burritos, made with sausage and potatoes (but no egg) with diced peppers and a Texas style red sauce/gravy.
I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast to keep carbs lower, so I tend to tire of them so while most breakfast burritos are egg-centric, I purposefully left them out of these.
They are patterned after the type of Tex-Mex wet burritos I love which are covered in a wet sauce and have melted cheese
National Potato Month
Air Fried Potato Chips by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Baked Rosti with Spiralized Potatoes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Colcannon Potatoes by Simply Inspired Meals
Creamy Cheeseburger & Veggie Hot Dish by Faith, Hope Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Healthy Twice Baked Potatoes by Simple and Savory
Jansson’s Frestelse – Creamy Anchovy Potato Bake by Food Lust People Love
Krumplileves (Hungarian Potato Soup) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Potato Hearts by Sneha’s Recipe
Sausage Stuffed Red Potatoes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Schwabischer Kartoffelsalat (German Potato Salad) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Scottish Macaroon Candy by Pandemonium Noshery
Waffled Hash Browns for Nat’l Potato Lovers Day – by Reviews, Chews & How Tos
Wet Breakfast Burrito by Palatable Pastime
Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays by posting delicious recipes your family will love. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a home cook looking for tasty recipes, check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
Wet Breakfast Burritos
- 1/2 cup chopped red pasilla chile
- 1/2 cup chopped green poblano pepper
- 3/4 pound fresh chorizo sausage
- 20 ounce pkg. Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 10 ounces grated Queso Asadero cheese
- 2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
- salt and black pepper
- optional garnishes: diced ripe avocado, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro
- 5 large burrito size flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- Brown sausage and peppers.
- Stir in potatoes, onions and diced roma tomatoes; cover and continue to cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet and whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Whisk in cold milk along with the beef base, enchilada sauce, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens like gravy.
- Stir half cup sauce into the filling mixture when potatoes are done.
- For each wet burrito, warm tortilla so it is pliable.
- Place 1 cup filling onto tortilla, tuck ends and roll up, placing seam side down on a plate.
- Ladle some sauce over the top and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Microwave about one minute to melt cheese, then garnish as desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You Might Also Like:
Potato, Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Sue! This looks like a winner. I’ve put the peppers and the potatoes on my grocery shopping list and Ill be making this for brunch on Sunday.
I always order breakfast burritos if they are on the menu. I’m going to now have to make one at home using your delicious sounding recipe.
The name kind of threw me off on this one…but after seeing it…oh yeah…I want this on my plate!
This looks amazing! I love the fact that it is egg-free. (egg allergy) This is going in my must-make file.