Potato, Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole #RSC
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I always love cooking breakfast so when tasked to create a recipe using some of my favorite breakfast ingredients, as a casserole, making this came to mind.
The eggs have such a great texture in this- it is almost like a quiche, but—way more eggs (it is for breakfast, after all). It is quite lovely baking and rises up into a golden dome, reminding me of beautiful souffles.
It has a slight bit of southwest flavor, but not overly so- just enough to enhance the potatoes with the ham and cheese.
This is perfect for breakfast or brunch, and a dinner breakfast too. In fact, I had this for a light dinner as a change of pace. I hope you enjoy it any time of day.
Ready, Set, Cook!
Another year, another #RSC…
If you recall, a couple weeks ago I told you about #RSC, in that I have been presented with a limited list of cooking ingredients and am confined to that to develop recipes. It’s sort of like a chopped basket.
Here are links to the recipes I created a couple of weeks ago in Round One:
Then I created four more recipes for Round Two:
Blueberry Oven Baked Pancake
Also, for those who have followed me online over the years, here is one of the recipes I put in for the first RSC on Recipezaar back in 2002. It won.
Here is another recipe that won in a RSC a different year, and also in a CSM contest:
Ad now it is time for:
Which is the last cooking round for the year, after which we cook each other’s recipes for the round.
So far, I have made these three for this round:
For the third round, the ingredients and courses have changed from rounds one and two. The object is to select a course, and create a recipe using one of the main ingredients and anything from the pantry list but nothing else. I wonder…what would you have made with these?
Round 3 – Categories
- Vegetarian Dishes:
Round 3 – Main Ingredients List
- Ground meat/ beef/chicken/turkey
- Pasta – penne/ziti/macaroni/cannelloni/fusilli
- Rice – white/brown
- Flour/ all purpose/bread & roll/whole wheat/rice/potato/cornflour/cornstarch
- Cheese/ Cheddar/Monterey jack/Havarti/Gruyere/Mozzarella
- Mushrooms/ oyster, button, wild, cremini, portabella
- Fresh Leafy Vegetables /Spinach/arugula/cabbage/Swiss chard/beet greens
- Peppers / Sweet red bell/ Poblano pepper/ cayenne peppers – (ground poblano, ground ancho and ground cayenne)
- Hot sauce
- Cucumber (no pickles)
Round 3 – Pantry List
- Cream soup/ mushroom/chicken
- Bread crumbs/ fresh/dried
- Onions/ sweet/red – white/shallots/scallions
- Marinara Sauce/ fresh tomatoes /canned – diced
- Peaches/ apricots/pears/avocado/ cherries
- 1/2 and 1/2 cream/ heavy cream/milk
- Italian seasoning – (dried mix of – oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, rosemary and sage) (not to be used separately)
- Dijon mustard/ original/coarse/smooth
- Condiments /mayonnaise – plain/ketchup/mustard
- Nuts/ walnuts/hazelnuts/pecans/pine nuts
- Vinegar – Red wine/ white balsamic/apple cider
- Dried fruit/ golden raisins/currants/figs/candied ginger/ dried mango/dried pear
- Canned salmon
- Horseradish cream
- Chicken/vegetable broth
- Citrus /orange /lemon
- Potatoes /squash/turnip/ rutabaga
- Jarred pesto sauce red/green/walnut
- Beans/ canned – black/cannellini/chickpeas/pink/kidney/ baked beans
- Sliced meats/ Ham/turkey/salami/chicken/ pastrami/roast beef/pimento loaf/prosicutto
- Fats/ Butter/ olive oil/coconut oil/peanut oil
- Sweetener/ sugar/white/brown/agave
- Baking powder/ baking soda
- Garlic – fresh/powdered
- Bread /rolls/wraps/naan (white, whole wheat, french, Italian, etc) dinner/sandwich roll (no dessert rolls – cinnamon buns,
- pastries, crossiants, etc) – wraps – (flatbread, pita, flour/corn tortilla)
- Spices – cinnamon,nutmeg, all spice, Chinese 5 spice, ginger, star anise, cardamom, fennel seeds, caraway and cumin
I hope you have enjoyed following me as I participate in this cooking challenge with some very dear foodie buddies online. I hope to see you again next year for the 2019 RSC!
~s Method: From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Potato, Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com