Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for blueberry oatmeal muffins which I am posting with one of my favorite blogging groups, Muffin Monday. It is headed up by Stacy Rushton who writes Food Lust People Love.
She is usually always posting with the group but somehow the photos got lost. I can imagine things getting topsy turvy with a big overseas move for her, so lots is up in the air. But even I have lost photos when I have had nothing more going on than an extra cup of coffee. One time I lost an entire folder of photos summing up about 36 recipes or so. I was pretty bummed about that, but saved the recipes I had written so I could make them again. Update: We got Stacy back! (She found the pics!) Back in the linkup and back in the states and all is right with the world. <3
Keep Those Berries From Sinking!
And although I got good pics on these, I will be making them again- the flavor of the oats in there really pairs well with the blueberries. Plus I thought the topping was really nice, and the blueberries nicely spaced. I hate it when they sink to the bottom, but getting a little flour on them while they are damp acts as a sort of glue in the batter to give them a little suspension. You can see in the pics how they are spaced top to bottom.
Change of Plans
I had actually been planning on making lemon poppyseed muffins this month but managed extra blueberries since they were on sale and I had extra leftover from something else. Lots of my recipes come about because of digging in the fridge seeing what I have to use up.
I bet Stacy was really tired of doing that- if you have ever moved long distance- all that food has to be used up or tossed. And getting down to the dregs is like putting together a puzzle to see what goes together. Good thing muffins are pretty basic. A few changes here and there leads to a totally different muffin, and they do well with all sorts of ingredients.
Muffin Monday April 2019
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins from Simply Inspired Meals
- Ham and Honey Mustard Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Whole Wheat Dinner Roll Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin or use paper liners.
- Mix orange juice, heavy cream, egg, butter, vanilla in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the old-fashioned oats,baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, and granulated sugar.
- Combine the two sets of ingredients just until flour mixes in, but do not overmix.
- Toss the wet blueberries with the 2 tbsp of flour to coat, then fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Divide batter into the muffin tin, and sprinkle the tops with the remaining oats and coarse sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, turning pan around halfway through cooking.
- Cool in pan ten minutes, then turn out and finish cooling on a wire rack.