Easy and flavorful cornbread with zucchini and red bell peppers.
Zucchini and Pepper Cornbread
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Another month has gone by and it’s time for the #BreadBakers group again! This month was my turn to suggest a theme so I chose peppers, since those really come into season this month and everyone might be looking for new ideas to use them. I had thought I might do some dinner rolls with Hatch chiles but one day I decided to make old-fashioned ham and beans with cornbread and wanted a way to jazz up the cornbread, this being the result. I really love the flavor it brings to it. This will likely be made most times I want cornbread now! I do hope you enjoy.
Forgive me if I am short this month with my write-up- I have had medication side effect issues the past few days (old neck injury) and am really out of it. I had been on the name brand of this particular one a few years ago no problem, but it was pretty expensive so had tried to get by without it. Now that it had a generic version I thought I might try it again, but apparently either it- or me- has changed since then and are no longer compatible. Too bad, but it’s not worth feeling like a drunk about to pass out just to get some benefit for pain. I do have a life to live after all.
But enough of my woes- I hope everyone is still having a great summer. I can’t believe it is August already! Soon the leaves will be falling from the trees. I actually look forward to Autumn- from the cool crisp air to street festivals to cooking Autumn food. It’s winter with the grey skies that get me down. Bill already said the sauerkraut bug hit him (I told him he’s a week early, as it usually happens mid-August with the first cool evening). I look forward to making pots of sauerkraut. It’s more his family tradition but one I have learned to make well.
And I hope to get lots of peppers the next few weeks. Hatch chiles are coming in so watch your markets. I am also excited that my Ahi Amarillo chiles are abundant so sauce is in order, and the Thai chiles are heavy on the plants so lots of Thai curry is in my future! What do you like to make with your peppers? Any hot sauces? I have lots of fun making those as well.
I hope you enjoy the collection of pepper bread recipes- they all sound fantastic to me. I can’t wait to read them. I hope you find a favorite or three as well. Until next time-
Zucchini and Pepper Cornbread
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup room temp melted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease a 8-10″ cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add grated zucchini and bell pepper and toss to coat.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter and milk.
- Add wet mixture to the dry, stirring until mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared skillet, smoothing top if needed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and removed without wet batter sticking to it.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board and cut into wedges.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Breads with Peppers
- Bellpeppers and Cheese Scones by Basic N Delicious
- Bellpepper and Paneer Stuffed Lattice Bread by Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Bell Pepper Stuffed Whole Wheat Buns by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Capsicum Onion Pizza with Wholegrain Base by Ambrosia
- Cheddar and Jalapeño Scones by Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese Stuffed Peppadew Stuffed Buns by Food Lust People Love
- Crushed Red Pepper Grissini by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Fatayer Jebneh by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Green Chile and Cheddar Biscuits by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hatch Chile Zucchini Bread by Magnolia Days
- Jalapeño Bread by Cook’s Hideout
- Jalapeño Flour Tortillas by Hostess At Heart
- Jalapeño Sourdough Corn Bread by Baking Sense
- Msemen Maamer – Moroccan Flatbread Stuffed with Peppers by The Bread She Bakes
- Parmesan Cracked Pepper Beer Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pepper Pav Buns by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Roasted Red Pepper Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Roasted Red Pepper Fougasse by Spiceroots
- Spicy Herb Monkey Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Whole Wheat Spicy Rolls by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Vegetable Stuffed Braided Bread by My Cooking Journey
- Zucchini and Pepper Cornbread by Palatable Pastime
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
You might also like: