Thanksgiving Side Dishes
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
There is more to Thanksgiving than just having….turkey. Side dishes will gather around the table just as quickly as family. And you will need a good selection to keep all your guests as happy and stuffed as can be. *burp*!
From Petit Pois to Pumpkin Pie Spice I have a good variety of recipes for you to browse as you plan your big dinner spread.
50+ Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes Your Family
Will Pile Their Plates With On Turkey Day
Browse the list of recipes below to get a peek at all the delicious recipes you will want for your big day!
No matter what kind of sides your family and guests prefer- from savory potatoes to moist stuffings to crisp salads to sweet topped casseroles, there is something for them to enjoy here.
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
1. Favorite Side Dishes: Apple Ginger Cranberry Sauce
Flavorful sauce with autumn berries, apples, ginger, and wine. Yes, I said wine.
2. Favorite Side Dishes: Broccoli Casserole
Easy to make creamy broccoli casserole is a great alternative to the usual green beans on your holiday table.
3. Favorite Side Dishes: Creamy Peas with Mushrooms and Garlic
Irish style fresh peas and ‘shrooms with a creamy cheese sauce.
4. Favorite Side Dishes: Cranberry Glazed Carrots
Tender steamed carrots with a sweet and savory cranberry glaze makes a perfect easy side dish.
5. Favorite Side Dishes: Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing
Cornbread stuffing with sausage and dried cranberries is perfect with chicken, turkey, or chops.
6. Favorite Side Dishes: Yellow Squash Casserole- Boarding House Style
7. Favorite Side Dishes: Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
8. Favorite Side Dishes: Creamed Spinach
Creamed spinach dresses up simple greens with creamy cheese, garlic and herbs for an over the top side dish made in just minutes.
9. Favorite Side Dishes: Whole Berry Maple-Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
Whole Berry Maple-Bourbon Cranberry Sauce is deliciously easy! Bourbon mellows the bite of the berries
for a smooth, sweet, flavorful sauce.
10. Favorite Side Dishes: Country Style Green Beans with Ham
Green beans simply seasoned with ham makes a comforting side dish.
11. Favorite Side Dishes: Funeral Potatoes
Funeral potatoes, also widely known as Hash Brown Casserole, is a staple of community cookbooks.
12. Favorite Side Dishes: Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Praline Syrup
Simple and delicious way to dress up an ordinary baked sweet potato
13. Favorite Side Dishes: Sweet and Spicy Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce
Whole berry cranberry sauce with sweet heat.
14. Favorite Side Dishes: Southern Cornbread Stuffing or Dressing
Traditional cornbread stuffing for roasts, chops, turkey and chicken, all from scratch.
15. Favorite Side Dishes: Fresh Green Bean Casserole
Fresh Green Bean Casserole is like the classic recipe which uses canned beans and soup but made even better from scratch.
16. Favorite Side Dishes: Honey Roasted Carrots with Lemon and Herbs
Simple method for preparing tender roasted carrots in the oven, sheet pan style, with garlic, honey and fresh herbs.
17. Favorite Side Dishes: Swiss Chalet Mac & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese with the flavors of a Swiss fondue.
18. Favorite Side Dishes: Pumpkin Saffron Rice
Moroccan style pumpkin saffron rice with bits and bobs of pumpkin, raisins, pine nuts, and spice.
19. Favorite Side Dishes: Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots & Pine Nuts
Quick, simple and healthy way to serve beans a little bit more upscale.
20. Favorite Side Dishes: Baked Stuffed Acorn Squash
Leftover Thanksgiving cornbread stuffing? Here’s a great use for it.
21. Favorite Side Dishes: White Castle Stuffing or Dressing
The legendary White Castle hamburger makes an appearance in a traditional stuffing or dressing mix, adding a surprisingly delicious flavor twist.
22. Favorite Side Dishes: Low Sugar Blood Orange Cranberry Sauce
Blood Orange Cranberry Sauce made from scratch with far less sugar and calories than usual.
23. Favorite Side Dishes: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Pecan
Roasted Brussels sprouts with apples and pecan make this simple treatment a wonderful side dish perfect for the autumn season.
24. Favorite Side Dishes: Fresh Applesauce
Fresh applesauce made easily with the first harvests of summer.
25. Favorite Side Dishes: Sweet Corn Cake (Tamalitos)
Sweet corn cake, or also called tamalitos has the texture of spoon bread, and is like the version served at Mexican restaurants.
26. Favorite Side Dishes: Caramelized Butternut Squash
Caramelized Butternut Squash is Ina Garten’s exquisitely simple yet delicious method for roasting butternut squash.
27. Favorite Side Dishes: Rotkohl – German Red Cabbage
Braised sweet and sour red cabbage is a perfect side dish in Autumn.
28. Favorite Side Dishes: Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Deliciously creamy baked macaroni and cheese easily made from scratch with a blend of cheeses makes the best macaroni and cheese ever.
29. Favorite Side Dishes: Mushroom Long Grain and Wild Rice Pilaf
A great way to make your own wild rice pilaf at home, minus the box.
30. Favorite Side Dishes: Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Creamy, buttery mashed potatoes cook up in only 7 minutes in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
31. Favorite Side Dishes: Old-Fashioned Chestnut Stuffing or Dressing
Old-Fashioned Chestnut Stuffing or Dressing is a traditional moist dressing often associated with the holidays and made with chestnuts.
32. Favorite Side Dishes: Glazed Baby Carrots Dijon
So simple to prepare and really is quite delicious!
33. Favorite Side Dishes: Instant Pot Applesauce
Make short work of your apple picking bounty by using your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker to make this quick and easy applesauce.
34. Favorite Side Dishes: Pumpkin Gnocchi
Pumpkin gnocchi, are Italian pasta dumplings made with pumpkin and seasoned with a sage brown butter for a simple side dish to an autumn meal.
35. Favorite Side Dishes: Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes have thinly sliced potatoes in a light, creamy cream cheese and chive sauce, baked in the style of a gratin.
36. Favorite Side Dishes: Roasted Butternut Squash with Candied Bacon & Pecans
Roasted Butternut Squash with Candied Bacon and Pecans brings out the natural sweetness of winter squash.
37. Favorite Side Dishes: Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
Slow cooker macaroni and cheese cooks everything at once in your crockpot for creamy delicious cheesy noodles in a couple of short hours.
38. Favorite Side Dishes: Red Cabbage with Cranberry
Braised rotkohl (red cabbage) with cranberry for the holidays.
39. Favorite Side Dishes: Honey Roasted Carrots
Roasted caramelized carrots with a hint of sweetness and rosemary! So easy!
40. Favorite Side Dishes: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pecans
Probably the best and easiest way I have ever used to make a delicious winter side dish of roasted vegetables
41. Favorite Side Dishes: Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes makes quick and easy work of getting a roasted potato to the table in time for supper.
42. Favorite Side Dishes: Old-Fashioned Bread and Celery Dressing or Stuffing
Traditional moist dressing, baked outside of the bird. I make this when I am cooking a turkey breast without the cavity.
43. Favorite Side Dishes: Cranberry Persimmon Couscous
Couscous with the flavors of fruit and spices make an easy and elegant side dish.
44. Favorite Side Dishes: Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
The flavor of the tropics in this classic mac salad
45. Favorite Side Dishes: Pan-Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses
This simple roasted carrots recipe has a buttery apple glaze with a hint of Dijon.
46. Favorite Side Dishes: Easy Fried Apples
Simple and delicious fried apples make a comforting side dish perfect for autumn suppers including pork chops, cabbage rolls and roast beef.
47. Favorite Side Dishes: Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
Baked winter acorn squash is stuffed with caramelized apples for a perfect autumnal side dish.
48. Favorite Side Dishes: Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls
Delicious soft cloverleaf dinner rolls for your table!
49. Favorite Side Dishes: Waldorf Salad
Classic Autumn apple salad with raisins, nuts and honey.
50. Favorite Side Dishes: Easy Turkey Gravy
Turkey gravy made simply with giblets and tidbits of turkey.
Some Handy Extras:
Basic and essential turkey stock made from the carcass in the slow cooker.
What an easy and frugal way to turn your leftover corn bread into a wonderful stuffing mix to use at Thanksgiving!
Homemade shelf-stable, make-ahead herb seasoned cubes for making stuffing and dressing.
Simple homemade mix for pumpkin pie spice from your pantry.
Making and using fresh herb compound butter from your own grown herbs is simple, fun to do, and the sensible thing!
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
Post content has been updated. Previous recipe roundup (2015 Year in Review) has been retired.