Creamed spinach dresses up simple greens with creamy cheese, garlic and herbs for an over the top side dish made in just minutes.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for creamed spinach, which I am posting as part of a Holiday Side Dishes event with other bloggers I know. The event runs three days this week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will be posting all three days. And each day will have a different recipe list to browse.
Hopefully you will find something you like to serve for Turkey day or as part of another meal. Goodness knows, you can have them besides just Thanksgiving.
In fact, my recipe for today is one that I often used to get when we went to the Boston Market for rotisserie chicken,so that is a good choice for a main as well.
Of course, this recipe does not try to copy their recipe. I happen to think mine is better, but why would it not be with its splash of white wine and copious amounts of Boursin and Parmesan cheese (not to mention the cream)?
And yes, with the cream, this is not a diet dish as such by any means, but it is great for the holidays. Serving six at a larger table is probably not such a bad idea. While I love spinach there is always going to be someone who hates it (although I have no idea why).
Check out all the fabulous holiday side dishes:
- Apple Butter from Simply Inspired Meals
- Creamed Spinach from Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Honey-Whiskey Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Mac and Cheese Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Biscuits from Our Good Life
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole from Blogghetti
- Smoked Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese from The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet Potato Souffle from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Yellow Squash and Zucchini Casserole from Cheese Curd in Paradise
You Might Also Like:
- 2 10 ounce packages of frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine sauvignon blanc
- 5.2 ounce box Garlic & Herb Boursin Gournay cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon cold cubed butter
- pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Drain thawed spinach in a sieve and press out excess water.
- Heat butter with the olive oil and saute the shallots until lightly browned, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine.
- Add the drained spinach and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the boursin to mix, along with the heavy cream and half cup of the Parmesan.
- Spread in a buttered dish and sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan, dot with the cold butter and bake for fifteen minutes to heat and melt the cheese.