Mashed Roasted Cauliflower
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This cauliflower recipe involves roasting the vegetable first for richer fuller flavor as well as avoiding sogginess inherent from steaming. Whipped in the food processor with a few other flavorful ingredients, it makes a perfectly sensible alternative to mashed potatoes.
The cheeses add some creaminess without watering them down. Very basic in fact, but perfectly utilitarian in many recipes where mashed potatoes are required, such as shepherd’s or cottage pie or Manhattan sandwiches.
This may become your mashed “go to” recipe of choice as you choose food options other than the usual starches.
Mashed Roasted Caulflower
- 2-pound head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (optional; if needed)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut up cauliflower and place florets on a baking sheet and drizzle with the oil.
- Roast in a preheated 400ºF. oven for thirty minutes or until fork tender.
- Puree the roasted cauliflower florets in a food processor with cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, salt, and pepper. Only add the milk a tiny bit at a time if it is not thin enough to puree, adding only as much as needed. It might vary from the cauliflower or cottage cheese slightly. Results should be stiff, but smooth.
- Serve hot with gravy if desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like: