Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week, as part of the Sunday Supper movement, I have set about to create a recipe using five ingredients or less, where water, salt, pepper and oil are designated as “freebies”. I use only five, since I figure that to be fair, the freebie oil should be a small amount for coating cookware or brushing a grill. The amount I list is a bit more than that, since it is part of a marinade. No water is needed in this, and if you prefer, feel free to add a little salt and pepper but I didn’t find myself needing it. As well, any ingredients used to make a mushroom burger are strictly optional, but include those because that type of sandwich makes a perfect sandwich at a cookout for my vegan friends and family.
The great thing in this recipe is obviously the simplicity. I can throw this together in about 5 minutes and let it sit in the marinade for the afternoon, pulling them out in time to grill. And the cook time is short- I cook until I can easily slip a paring knife in and out of the center where the stem was, since that is the thickest part. That it is tender in the center actually trumps the grilling time, since some mushrooms are just a bit bigger or thinner than others, so times vary.
I do really love how fast these are to make. It seems that over the past month or so I have been extremely busy with this or that, and it has left much less time for cooking dinner. In times like these, I often find myself turning to easy to grill items, and in this case, I grilled these with some cooked bratwurst, and also grilled corn.
Grilled Mushrooms with Grilled Brats
Also, I love getting outdoors to cook. Can I whine that the fan on my a/c is acting up again? Second time in a month, and it won’t be until tomorrow that the repairman returns to cover his work. So life in the kitchen itself has been minimal, even though it is my “zone” so to speak. I have a story about one of my cats, Jackie Panzer, who is terribly frightened by thunder. And we have had a few of those recently (I had some major damage to my patio area from storm wind microbursts which tossed a 7 foot bay leaf tree which weighs, oh, I don’t know, maybe 150-200 pounds with pot, several feet across the patio, and yet a 1 pound pot of herbs a few feet away sat undisturbed). That same storm flipped cars up in the Beavercreek Ohio area. I might normally feel terribly unlucky considering the damage, but my car is quite all right. But anyway, with Jackie, he hides. And if he can’t find me, he will hide right in front of the stove where he expects to find me. Poor little blighter. I wish I could offer him more comfort and assurance, but I can’t always be right there!
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Inactive prep (marinate): 4-6 hours
Active prep & cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary in a small bowl.
- Brush off mushrooms and trim the stem close to the cap. You can rinse these if they are especially soiled since they will be going into the marinade straight away.
- Put mushrooms and marinade in a ziplock bag, squeezing out excess air, and refrigerate for several hours.
- Prepare outdoor grill (gas or charcoal) and grill caps 10 minutes, or until fork tender in the center, turning once. You can baste with extra marinade if you wish.
- Serve these as a vegetable side dish, or put them on sandwich buns with burger type toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.)
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Celebrating 5-ingredient Recipes
As part of the Sunday Supper Movement, I and a host of other food bloggers are pleased to present to you some of our favorite recipes using five ingredients or less.
Special thanks to T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley for graciously hosting this event and working so hard to make sure all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed. It’s a big group and a ton of work to keep all together! Thanks so much.
- 2 Ingredient Orange Juice Frosty Drink by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Five Ingredient Sangria by Our Good Life
- Pina Colada Summer Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Appetizers and Snacks
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Avocado Dressing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Crescent Jalapeno Poppers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Crockpot Chicken Chili Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Grilled Zucchini and Goat Cheese Roll Ups by Food Done Light
- Marinated Feta Tomato Skewers by Noshing with the Nolands
- Roasted Chili-Lime Peanuts by Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Coconut Soup with Mint by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 3 Ingredient Steak Marinade by MealDiva
- Baked Fajita Chicken by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Crab Pasta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms by Palatable Pastime
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Pancakes by Momma’s Meals
- Homemade Porcini Almond Pasta by The Joyful Foodie
- Abruzzo Style Cannellini Beans with Fennel & Chicken by Delaware Girl Eats
- Nutella BLT Sandwich by Brunch with Joy
- Salmon in Puff Pastry by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Simple Grilled Tilapia by Cooking Chat
- Simple Summer Shrimp and Asparagus by eating in instead
- Skirt Steak and Grilled Potatoes for a Crowd by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Slowcooker Ravioli Lasagne by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Brazilian Black Beans by Curious Cuisiniere
- Korean Seasoned Dried Squid (Ojingeochae muchim) by kimchi MOM
- Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sauerkraut and Apple Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Lime Edamame by Magnolia Days
- Southern Style Squash Casserole by Recipe for Perfection
- Tomato, Avocado and Bacon Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Apple Drop Candy by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Toffee Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Coconut White Chocolate Truffles by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy No Churn Peach Frozen Yogurt by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fluffernutter Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Magic Pudding Dessert by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Rhubarb Crumble by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Coconut, Roasted Strawberry Chocolate Chip Popsicles by Simply Health Family
- Recipe Substitution Tips by Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Do you have any favorite simple recipes you like to make on the grill using few ingredients?
What are your favorite recipes from this week’s Sunday Supper collection?
Do your pets hang about in the kitchen knowing it is a favorite place of yours?
Have you tried this recipe yet? If you do, can you give it a star review please?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!
I love hearing from my readers so much!
Thanks so much and I hope to see you again soon!
Also from Palatable Pastime: