Deliciously light Italian dessert shells filled with strawberry cream.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Valentine’s Day is traditionally the day of Love. The origins of it may be dark, muddled, and often disputed, but one thing remains certain. The small, brightly colored fruits of the strawberry plant are most definitely romantic (being heart-shaped and all) and the sweet taste with tiny seeds is almost an aphrodisiac as well.
So while florists may try to steal the day with long stemmed roses, and card shops sell forests worth of paper Valentines and chocolatiers pronounce their delights most exquisite, none have such visual association with the red loving heart that a ripe juicy sweet strawberry has.
For the holiday, I often enjoy things like chocolate dipped strawberries. For something a little healthier and nutritious, instead of the usual chocolate covered delights I have opted for cannoli filled with strawberry cream. Very flavorful! More so than ordinary cannoli. And quite easy to prepare and low in fat too (if you stick with low-fat or fat free cream cheese). Easily sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, and if you are really counting calories, a little Splenda sprinkled on will suffice as well.
And since I am dieting now (I have managed to keep with my resolutions so far!) this is quite a plus. And I have to say one of the things that makes being on Weight Watchers easy for me is that strawberries don’t count towards daily food totals. And since I feel they are almost like a dessert eaten right out of hand, it is a game-changer for modern dieting. Plus, you get a full day’s value of Vitamin C in just 8 strawberries so while it is still winter outside, we can try to ward off colds without the glycemic surge of drinking orange juice.
So if you are looking for lots of ideas to add strawberries to your daily menus, this Sunday Supper event sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association can definitely get you started. After that, head on over to Pinterest where you can browse the Florida Strawberry Pinterest Board.
As well, you can follow Florida Strawberries or Strawberry Sue on Social Media to get lots of tips for recipes and prep.
- 6-8 prepared cannoli shells
- 1 cup sliced fresh Florida winter strawberries
- 2 cups softened fat free cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pulse softened cream cheese, strawberries and sugar in a food processor until smooth. If berries aren’t juicy enough, and mixture is too thick, adjust consistency with a few drops of milk. If it is too thin, adjust with a little more cream cheese.
- Place filling in a pastry bag fitted with a round tip, and pipe filling into cannoli shells.
- Sprinkle with a little extra confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Cook’s Tip: Do not fill cannoli shells in advance of serving, but instead chill filling until needed.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Healthy & Nutritious Valentine’s Day
The Sunday Supper Tastemakers are very pleased to present:
Healthy and nutritious recipes to prepare for your sweetheart.
- Sparkling Strawberry Sangria from Family Foodie
- Strawberry-Basil Spritzer from Eat Picks
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake from Ruffles & Truffles
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Banana Hazelnut Crepes from The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Herbed Strawberry Salad from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Waldorf Salad from Food Done Light
- Balsamic Strawberry Walnut Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil from Soni’s Food
- Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Plus: Nutritious Fresh Strawberry Recipes plus Strawberry Almond Milk from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You might also like:
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.