Summer Tortellini Salad
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I always love the “unofficial” start to summer with Memorial Day weekend. Besides honoring our fallen veterans, it is a great time for loved ones to get together for barbecues, picnics, and potlucks. Almost everyone likes to contribute, so bringing a covered dish is always a great idea to share food and keep the burden of food prep off one person.
Pasta salads have long been a favorite of mine and make a great item to bring to a community dinner. Using a couple packages of refrigerated tortellini makes short work of it, since these cook up in just a few short minutes. Combined with a few other tasty ingredients it is quick to get into the fridge to chill down.
A perfect dish to bring to a potluck.
So when the Sunday Supper theme of the week was potluck, I knew that this would be popular. Not only does it make a great potluck item for work or family, it goes very well at backyard barbecues. It also makes a good item to keep in the cooler for a picnic.
I hope you all enjoy this one and also have a safe and happy Memorial Day with your family, whether you spend it remembering our military or just getting a head start on summer fun- or both! Don’t forget to scroll down to see the round up of other recipes the SSM bloggers have gather together for you for any last minute holiday needs. Until next time-
Summer Tortellini Salad
- 18 ounces fresh tortellini (mixed colors)
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup mild banana pepper rings (chopped)
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 3 ounces chopped Sopressata salami
- 4 ounces chopped low-moisture part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette and combine with all salad ingredients.
- Refrigerate a couple hours before serving.
Summer’s Best Potluck Dishes
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Trampling Rose
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!