Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen)
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This is a special coffee cake I adapted from one Carol Bass had posted at Recipezazz. This one is a bit smaller and has a few changes in the topping and filling. It’s great for an easy weekend breakfast or brunch if you have it baked up the night before. What a great way to enjoy a morning cup of coffee!
And that is the theme this week for Sunday Supper-recipes with coffee (either with coffee in them, or something to enjoy with coffee). This has a bit of a German-American slant which goes with my current theme of Oktoberfest (I’ll be posting a number of this type of recipe during the week). I forgot to mention in the directions but do keep this in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese filling, just as you would cheesecake bars. It’s easy to forget just looking at it, but we don’t want anyone getting foodborne illness because of it.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the recipes offered this week. Quite a few have caught my eye! Which ones will you be making? Let me know in the comments. Until next time-
Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease and flour an 8×8 square glass baking pan, shaking out any excess flour.
- To prepare cake, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in the egg, and sour cream, mixing until smooth.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then mix into the wet batter and stir until smooth.
- To make the filling, stir together the softened cream cheese with the egg yolk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- To make the topping, cut together the slightly softened butter with the brown sugar, flour, pecans, oats, cinnamon and salt.
- Spread about half of the cake batter into the bottom of the pan. You can use lightly wet hands to spread it out or use wax paper (I found a spatula to be sticky and less effective).
- On top of the thin layer of cake batter, spread out all of the filling mixture the same way.
- Then apply the remaining cake batter over that, not worrying too much if it isn’t totally covering the filling.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over all.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-500 minutes or until you can tuck a toothpick into it without wet sticking to it. Cool in the pan completely.
- Cut into 4-6 squares. If you like, sprinkle powdered sugar over the works, the way it’s done on crumb cake, however you prefer. It is also good without that.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Recipes with Coffee
Hosted by Wendy Hammond of Wholistic Woman
- Bulletproof Coffee My Way by Monica’s Table
- Caramel Turtle Mocha Frappe by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Latte by Meal Planning Magic
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Toffee Crunch Cookies by Family Foodie
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Dry Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You might also like: