Irish Leek and Parsnip Soup is a creamy and satisfying soup from the Emerald Isle made with vegetables and herbs.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Once again it is time for #SoupSwappers and this month is hosted by Kathy at A Spoonful of Thyme and her chosen theme for all of this month’s soups is Let’s Go International!
I decided to do an Irish soup in honor of St. Patrick’s Day since by the time next month gets here, that holiday will have passed. It is not so much green in theme, but parsnips and leeks are very common in Irish cuisine.
Join me tomorrow when I post with Sunday Supper with my easy recipe for maple glazed breakfast chops. And again on Monday in honoring President’s Day when I share former first lady Laura Bush’s recipe for Cowboy Cookies. I hope to see you both days!
Irish Leek and Parsnip Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pound parsnips, diced
- 32 ounces chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- optional garnish: fresh thyme or toasted croutons
- Saute the leeks, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in oil until they soften.
- Add the salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, parsnips and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and allow mixture to cool ten minutes.
- Puree soup in food processor (or you can use a stick blender).
- Stir in the milk and half and half, rewarming soup to serving temperature.
- Serve garnished with fresh thyme or toasted croutons.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Let’s Go International!
Hosted by A Spoonful of Thyme
Be sure to check out the other Soup Saturday Swappers Bloggers this month!
Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes:
Love parsnips, find them a very underrated veggie, so your soup makes it justice! 😉
Plus, look at that soup bowl, simply gorgeous!
I love how creamy this looks, and parsnips are a favorite of mine – a must try for me!
I love parsnip, too. This looks wonderful, as always, Sue.
I also adore your bowl and plate…since I own the exact same ones! *wink* P~
Parsnips are not a veggie that we eat on a regular basis. When some appear in our veggie box, I usually roast them as I am not certain just what to do! Your soup is the answer to my question!
I don’t know why I have never tried parsnips!! This sounds delicious! Love love love your bowl!
Oh oh oh…I could eat this soup every day…all my faves!
I know this creamy soup had to be just fabulous with all of those wonderful flavors.
I love parsnips and leeks, and they go so well together.
This soup looks amazing!!! I love the look of those croutons!
We love parsnips. I can’t wait to try this, Sue.