Spring vegetables are center stage in this vegetarian soup with a creamy melange of spinach, leeks, artichokes and a hint of curry.
Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Soup
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is with Soup Swappers, it being the third Saturday of the month. This month is hosted by Camilla Mann, who decided on the theme of Spring vegetables.
For my selection, I decided to make a spinach and artichoke soup, which has a little bit of cheese in it as well as a touch of curry. This was great for me since I had both a package of frozen artichoke hearts as well as spinach that was meant to be in a spinach and artichoke dip, but somehow escaped being made. I had intended to add that to a selection of holiday appetizers, but ran out of time to do that one, the holiday season being very busy.
I also used leek in this one which I must tell you I love in soups. And what I will do with those since they need thorough cleaning is to buy several (often they come bundled together), split them and soak in a sink full of cold water, then drain and chop. I will put the amount of one leek into a zippy bag and freeze that. So the leek came from the freezer as well.
While usually Spring veggies for me imply an abundance of fresh vegetables from the farm market, until mid-April we won’t have much available locally in southern Ohio. So clearing out the freezer can also be a good idea as well as be much less labor intensive- it would be a lot more work processing fresh artichokes with all the trimming involved.
But other than that, this is very quick to cook and present and makes a great accompaniment with sandwiches for a fresh Springtime lunch.
Soup Saturday Swappers
Hosted by Camilla Mann
Check out what other Spring Soups the bloggers have made for April 2019!
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm: Caramelized Carrot Bisque
- Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories: Cannellini and Fennel Soup with Tomatoes and Kale
- Sue of Palatable Pastime: Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Soup
- Sid of Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking: Aspargessuppe (Danish-style Asparagus Soup)
- Sneha of Sneha’s Recipe: Mix Veg Clear Soup
- Colleen of Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice: Creamy Chesapeake Asparagus & Shrimp Soup
- Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Salmorejo de Conejo
Soup Saturday Swappers get together on the third Saturday of each month to share soups and/or stews based on a theme chosen by one of our members. It is a lot of fun. Are you a blogger that loves soups/stews/stoups? You should join us. Just leave a message in the comments below or email email@example.com for more details.
You Might Also Like:
Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 leek diced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 40 ounces chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste varies with type of chicken stock
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts thawed and quartered
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed, and at room temperature
- Heat oil and saute the onion and leek with garlic until soft, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to coat.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, and add curry powder, marjoram, black pepper and salt to taste.
- Add artichoke hearts and chopped spinach.
- Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add cream cheese cubes, stirring until they melt and incorporate.
- Serve hot.