Shepherd’s Pie is a comfort food classic of a meaty pie with a mashed potato crust, sometimes known as cottage pie.
The list of “ings” may seem a little longer than some, but every bit of it adds flavor to the meat.
Meat in the Pan
You Might Also Like:
Fish Pie is a British style specialty made with plain and smoked haddock in a creamy sauce with veggies and a cheesy potato topping.
Fresh Tomato Ricotta Pie
Fresh Tomato Ricotta Pie layers garden ripe tomatoes with fresh herbs and ricotta cheese in a flaky pastry crust.
Tuna Pot Pie
Tuna pot pie is a true comfort food and retro classic, with tuna and vegetables in a creamy cheese sauce between layers of flaky pastry.
Crustless Greek Spinach Pie
A healthy version of spanakopita without the crust.
Jambalaya Pot Pie
Jambalaya pot pie combines Cajun style shrimp, chicken and andouille sausage with rice in a spicy yet creamy sauce beneath a golden crust of puff pastry.
- 1 pound ground/mince lamb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kitchen bouquet
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just fork tender; drain.
- Brown the lamb in a nonstick skillet (add a little oil if you need to but it may not need it- lamb mince varies in the amount of fat).
- When the lamb is browned, drain off excess fat leaving just a tiny bit and add the onions, carrots, marjoram, garlic, black pepper, and salt, cooking just till the onions are tender.
- Stir in the broth, green beans, ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, kitchen bouquet and tomato paste, and simmer until green beans are tender.
- While the mix with beans is finishing up, mash the potatoes and stir in the egg, butter, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place the meat mixture in the bottom of a 2 quart buttered/pam sprayed casserole and top with the mashed potato mix.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or more (until the top is lightly browned).
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!