This is a regional tradition for those living in Wisconsin and misplaced expats. A must for any Green Bay Packer tailgate! SImmering the fresh bratwurst adds a depth of flavor and finishing them on the grill gives that nice POP! when you bite them.
This is such a simple recipe, and one we make often to have on gameday, whether or not we are tailgating. They are great on split toasted buttered buns or atop a bed of delicious sauerkraut.
For this recipe I use fresh bratwurst, which haven’t been cooked yet. The light colored precooked bratwursts won’t really benefit from this recipe at all. Those are just ready to be grilled.
For the brat tub:
- 36 ounces American lager beer, such as Miller High Life
- 1 pound fresh bratwurst links
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Buns or sausage rolls (optional)
- sauerkraut (optional)
- brown mustard (optional)
- Simmer hot tub ingredients in a large pot on top of grill or stove for about 30 minutes, or until bratwurst are cooked through.
- Grill brats on a hot grill until browned on all sides. Do not prick with fork!
- Serve on rolls or with kraut as desired.
You Might Also Like:
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
The only way to make Bratwurst!
Yum! Brats and Kraut! 🙂