Buffalo Chicken Tacos
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I had been wanting to do these tacos for a number of weeks now, ever since I spotted a box of blue corn taco shells at the market and thought they would be perfect for the 4th of July (being blue and all). I spent a little time wondering how I was going to make these “Red White and Blue” and my original thought was to have chicken (white) in some sort of red enchilada sauce (red) to go with the blue shells.
I do love the idea of holiday foods taking on the red white and blue colors, but I am not usually very clever at coming up with ideas. Last year I did some red white and blue dipped chocolate marshmallows, but it’s not my usual style to eat a lot of marshmallows. If I had more kids around maybe.
For this week, Sunday Supper bloggers are posting around a theme of Dad’s Favorite Recipes. And originally I wanted to do tomahawk steaks, since they are so very HUGE and very much man-food. Just the kind of thing Fred Flintstone might want for his day. But it just figures the past couple of weeks the tomahawk steaks I saw were not up to my standards. So I decided to think on my feet and go for something else.
I knew that Buffalo Chicken is one of Bill’s favorite foods, as well as tacos (he is a bit of a fiend for those!) so I decided to post these tacos now, since they are both great for Father’s Day and Independence Day is coming up. You don’t really have to have the blue corn shells for this- I know how it is being a stickler to call these “red white and blue” because of course, there is blue cheese in them.
But not everyone likes blue cheese and you might want another option there- so while I can’t come up with another blue cheese, you could fill these with cotija cheese (crumbly Mexican cheese) and a bit of ranch dressing. The chicken is the star in this- and I make it a little different from usual. Occasionally I get wings ordered out with a hot barbecue mix on them, so added a touch of sauce for depth of flavor. I think it rounds out the “wing sauce” and gives it a more Texas feel. Great for the cowboys in our lives!
And as expected, Bill loved these. They would probably be too spicy for my own Dad (as he is in his mid-eighties) but for younger fathers, this is fine. My own Dad wouldn’t care what I made- he’d just be glad to have me visit (he lives a few hundred miles away) and would happily eat most anything I made for him. He’s an old Kentucky boy so I know he loves the southern cuisine, and I excel at preparing it.
I hope these tacos are perfect for the Dad in your life. If not, I have lots of other recipes you can peruse HERE, or if you don’t see it, ask. I have over a thousand recipes scattered across the internet and might be able to find something for you. But most importantly, this week, Sunday Supper has a HUGE selection of blogger recipes, so be sue to browse those below.
Until next time-
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used leftover smoked/grilled chicken)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8-10 crisp taco shells (warmed) or flour tortillas (griddled until warm and pliable)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- jalapeno slices (optional)
- Heat butter in a nonstick skillet and fry the chopped chicken until a bit crispy.
- Add the hot sauce and barbecue sauce and cook until heated through.
- Place chicken on baked taco shells or warmed flour tortillas, with lettuce, chopped celery, blue cheese crumbles, blue cheese dressing, and jalapeno slices if desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Dad’s Favorite Recipes
Hosted by Sarah of The Chef Next Door
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.