Confetti Birthday Bundt Cake
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for another go around with the #BundtBakers group! I am hosting this month. I thought it might be nice at the beginning of the year to cover birthdays, since everybody has them, even if they don’t admit it.
For my offering, I decided to do a birthday cake with confetti sprinkles inside, and a vanilla cream cheese based icing that can be piped on. This is the first time I’ve tried doing some of the piping like I have seen at the Bundt bakeries. I am really pleased with how it turned out except I made too much, and piped some around the bottom to use some of it. (I really wasn’t 100% sure how much I’d need!) But I cut the frosting back to half in the recipe so you won’t have enough to do the bottom edge unless you make more. I had some left after doing that, but frosting freezes well (up to 3 months) so I will probably pull it out later on and maybe drizzle it over cinnamon rolls or something.
As for the cake, I did like the balance of flavor using all the extracts listed, so please stick to those. I think it gives the best birthday-cake-like flavor. They really should custom mix that and sell it to us outright, don’t you think? Birthday Cake Extract. I’d buy it. But you know me–I collect flavored extracts the way some people collect stamps.
Be sure to join me tomorrow when I post with the #FishFridayFoodies group with my recipe for British fish pie. Saturday will be the first outing of the #SaturdaySoupSwap group and I will be sharing Spicy Gai Lan and Tofu soup (for healthy soup recipes ~and~ the upcoming Lunar New Year). Sunday I will be putting up a recipe request for Hamburger Gravy (Some of us call that SOS). And Monday I will be sharing my recipe for Jalapeno Popper Wontons. I hope to see you every day! Until tomorrow-
Confetti Birthday Bundt Cake
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons butter extract
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.75 ounce container rainbow sprinkles/jimmies
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, allowing them to incorporate before adding more.
- Add milk and flavoring extracts.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour to the mixer and allow to beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Fold in sprinkles with a spatula.
- Spray a 10-inch Bundt pan with baker’s spray, or liberally grease and flour, shaking out excess flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Remove cake from oven and cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Turn out cake onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Combine frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Place frosting into a piping bag fitted with 1A-round decorating tip and ice cake as shown in the photo. You may need extra to go around the bottom. I made a double recipe and had some left- I just put it in the freezer to use later (you can freeze any extra for up to 3 months).
- Sprinkle lightly with a few extra cake sprinkles (if desired) and add candles as needed.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Hosted by Sue at Palatable Pastime
#BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
- Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze from All That’s Left Are the Crumbs
- Birthday Buttered Rum Cake from Faith Hope Love and Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Bundt Cake de Bollo, Canela y Nutella from La Mejor Manera de Hacer
- Confetti Birthday Bundt Cake fromPalatable Pastime
- Confetti Lime and Cheese Bundt Cake from Bizcocheando
- Cookies and Cream Sprinkle Bundt Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Kids and Chic”>Doughnut Funfetti Bundt Cake from Kids and Chic
- Eggnog Bundt with Hot Buttered Rum Sauce from A Day in the Life on the Far
- Lemon and Prosecco Bundt from Food Lust People Love
- Piñata Birthday Bundt Cake from Patty’s Cake
- Piñata Bundt Cake from I Love Bundt Cakes
- Sugar Cookie Bundt Cake from Cookaholic Wife
- Tropical Birthday Bundt Cake from Basic N Delicious