Mujadarra (Lentils and Rice)
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I first had this sometime last year as a Mujadarra wrap (M’Yadra wrap) when Bill and I had been out to lunch and visited a local food truck. Their version didn’t come with the lamb sausage but was served vegetarian. I had the sausage in my freezer so decided to add some in. You certainly don’t have to. Without the sausage and the yogurt it is very vegan, and you could use almond milk yogurt if you like. I hope you enjoy.
This makes quite a hearty lunch item, especially if you wrap some flatbread around it like a burrito.
Join me tomorrow when I post a recipe for Rigatoni with Bolognese Sauce paired with a red wine for #WinePW. We also gather for a Twitter chat early in the day on Saturday. Sunday I will be posting with #SundaySupper for an #OscarNomNoms event of fancy appetizers. I’ll be posting a recipe for shrimp martinis. I hope to see you both days!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 pounds Vidalia onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 ounces thinly sliced cooked lamb sausages
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon baharat spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Optional to serve with: yogurt, cornichons, flatbread
- Cook or steam rice according to the type rice and your preferences.
- Saute the onions in the oil in a deep pot until caramelized.
- Stir in the sausage and garlic and cook about one minute, then set half of the cooked onions aside.
- To the remaining onions, add the lentils, broth, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 30-40 minutes, maintaining a saucy consistency.
- Stir cooked rice into the lentils and serve topped with more caramelized onion and yogurt (otional) with pickled cornichons on the side and flatbread..
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com