Apple Nutella Chip Muffins
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for #MuffinMonday again!
Yes, it’s the last Monday of the month and you know that means muffins.
This is me working up some Nutella I have in the pantry. I suppose you all know I have been dieting. I found some sugar-free Nutella online and ordered it, but it is not supposed to ship for another couple of weeks.
If the flavors seem unusual,I was just imagining some monster candy apples I have seen up at Hidden valley fruit farm in Lebanon Ohio that have huge apples coated with chocolate and nuts. They are pretty awesome.
So why not fashion a breakfast muffin after those?
It is that apple time of year already, and I have been getting messages from local orchards letting me know all the kinds of apples they have.
In a couple of weeks things will really go crazy here when I join in with other bloggers to do #AppleWeek again. It comes at the peak of the apple harvest season in Ohio, which began mid-August with MacIntosh and peaks around the third week of September, and winds down to several weeks in October with the harder, spicier apples such as Winesap.
What kind of apples do they grow in your area?
I used Jonagold in these, which is a good apple for baking pies and baking in general. It comes from the cross of Jonathan apples and Golden Delicious. You should be able to find those in almost any supermarket.
Apple Nutella Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup nutella spread
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or cooled melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apples
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chip morsels
- Wilton white cookie icing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the nutella, applesauce, cooled melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir together the flour, Splenda, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Combine flour mixture with nutella mixture and stir.
- Fold in dried apples and half cup of the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide among muffin tins in cupcake liners.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with remaining fourth cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out without wet batter.
- When cool, drizzle with icing if desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Apple Nutella Chip Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Banana Maple Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Beer and Cheese Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cheesecake Breakfast Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Mini Chocolate Banana Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Zucchini Carrot Muffins from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.