Apple tortas fritas are sort of like your apple fritter crossed with a sopapilla, all very simple to make.
Apple Tortas Fritas
(Argentinean Fry Bread with Apples)
By Sue Lau
This post is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek . I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Welcome back to #AppleWeek, where all week long favorite recipes for apples are shared and there is a giveaway for fantastic prizes going on. You can still sign up for the give away by going to the Welcome Page. Today I am sharing my recipe for apple tortas fritas.
This recipe I first made a plain version of with a cooking group while exploring cuisine from Argentina. I liked it a lot, so when it came time to decide which recipes to make for #AppleWeek, I couldn’t resist making this again and sneaking some apple in there.
I love apple fritters this time of year and lots of the local orchards will make those and sell them to their customers. Sometimes they are huge and almost a meal in itself.
How is the Tortas Fritas?
These tortas fritas, or fry bread, are light and crisp, very much like a good sopapilla. Adding the apple bits makes them ever so slightly thicker than the plain ones I made, but the flavor is ever so much better with the cinnamon. You know how it is with apples and cinnamon- they are a match made in heaven!
Lots of Recipes for Apple Week…and Beyond!
Don’t forget to check out the recipe roundup beneath the recipe printout. Also, a gentle reminder to get yourself into the prize drawing which I have a link to at the top of the page here that goes to the welcome page, or you can click the link to the Applesauce Nut Bread below.
Thank you for joining me all week long as we wind down September with the last of the apple recipes. Be sure to tune in this October for lots more yummy recipes, including ones for Choctoberfest and Halloween. You are going to love it, I am sure!
Apple Tortas Fritas (Argentinean Fry Bread with Apples)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 cup finely diced dried apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Separately, stir together the melted butter and warm water.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures.
- Knead dough until well combined, then knead in the apple bits.
- Divide dough into twelve pieces and roll into a “meatball” and place on silpat, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest thirty minutes. (Resting the dough helps you spread it out without it springing right back)
- Stir together the sprinkle (sugar and cinnamon) in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil about an inch deep in a skillet.
- On silpat, press the dough ball with your hand to flatten it as much as you can.
- Make a hole in the very center.
- Fry tortas in hot (but not smoking hot) oil a couple of minutes on each side until golden, then drain on paper toweling.
- Dredge tortas in the cinnamon sugar sprinkle while still warm.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Apple Week Recipe Roundup:
- Apple Bourbon Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash by Girl Abroad
- Apple Butter Cheesecake Tart by Soulfully Made
- Apple Cheesecake Breakfast Quesadillas by 4 Sons R Us
- Apple Cinnamon Cake by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Cider Spiced Donut Cake by Love and Confections
- Apple Cinnamon Oat Bars by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Crisp Breakfast Bowl by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Fennel and Beet Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Hand Pies with an Oatmeal Crust by The Freshman Cook
- Apple Nachos by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Peanut Butter Ebelskivers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Tortas Fritas (Argentinean Fry Bread with Apples) by Palatable Pastime
- Apple Oatmeal Pancakes by Simple and Savory
- Apple Rosette Frangipane Tart by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Applesauce Oatmeal Bread With Vanilla Honey Butter by Cooking With Carlee
- Caramel-Stuffed Apple Butter Snickerdoodles by The Redhead Baker
- Chicken Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Pecans by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Apple Iced Oatmeal Cookies by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Harvest Apple Cakelets with Maple Drizzle by Everyday Eileen
- Pink Peppercorn & Curry Leaf Chicken Salad by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Stuffed Apples with Cheddar and Sausage by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen