Homemade chicken noodle soup made from a whole chicken, noodles and a mirepoix of vegetables with savory herbs are food for the soul.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for homemade chicken noodle soup made by poaching a whole chicken and using thin egg noodles as the pasta.
This is a joint event for national Soup Swap Day with Festive Foodies and Soup Saturday Swappers (which I am hosting this month). So make sure you get to see the recipes from both groups, one accessible by clicking the link to inlinks and the other listed on the page.
This makes a nice brothy soup- sort of like you might expect from canned chicken noodle soup, at least with the noodles, except they don’t really put too much meat in theirs, do they? Plus the broth in this is much better tasting. And you know exactly what is going into this clean eating soup.
Perfect for nourishing your tribe on a cold snowy day or feeding them when they have the sniffles, colds, or flu. I hope not, but a bowl of Mom’s chicken noodle soup goes a long way not only in keeping them healthy, but restoring their health if that has gone south.
I like to have this anyway, often as part of a lunch, with something like a turkey club sandwich on toast. Even a grilled cheese will hit the spot.
Stay warm this weekend! We are getting blasted with snow and ice today. But at least we have our snow day soup!
Snow Day Soups
Hosted by Sue of Palatable Pastime
Be sure to check out the other Soup Saturday Swappers Bloggers this month!
also today linking up with
National Soup Swap Day Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
- Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
- Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients for Preparing the Chicken:
- 1 (4-5 pound) roasting chicken
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- pinch each of salt, black pepper and thyme
- Season chicken and place in a stock pot.
- Stuff the onion inside the chicken cavity.
- Scatter other vegetables around.
- Cover with cold water.
- Bring chicken to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer/poach for 90 minutes; then allow to cool in the broth.
- Remove chicken meat from the carcass, discarding the skin; save the bones for making more stock later if desired (you can freeze), or add the bones to the stock and continue to cook and fortify.
- Chill broth and then skim off any fat that surfaces.
Ingredients for soup:
- Chicken from poached chicken above, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 60 ounces broth (from poaching the chicken)
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 4 ounces dried narrow egg noodles
- Saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in the olive oil at the bottom of your soup pot until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the herbs and seasonings along with the broth- if you don’t quite have enough, top up with water; stir in the chicken base.
- Bring broth to a rolling boil and stir in the noodles.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes, depending on the noodle size and type you use; they should be tender.
- Stir in the chopped chicken and just heat through.
- Adjust salt to your taste before serving.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com