Ham and Potato Chowder showcases the duo mingling together in a chowder hot tub, and is perfect for using leftover ham.
Ham and Potato Chowder
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I love a good chowder. My mother instilled that in me, as she made excellent and easy chowder, and there were never leftovers.
But as leftovers go, holidays with ham dinners often produce leftovers, and this is a great way to use up some of that. It is hearty and comforting and just the thing we need as we wind down the year into the coldest months of weather coming soon.
I really think this is simple to make, and although that normally might make it my favorite thing about it. But the flavors remind me of my childhood, spending days watching the skies to see if it looked like it was going to snow. And if it did, after a romp around the yard rolling a snowman, a small half-frozen child such as myself would always look forward to Mom ready to warm me up with a bowl of hot soup.
It’s the little things.
I do hope you enjoy!
Ham and Potato Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 32 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound diced smoked ham
- 12 fluid ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt to taste
- Saute celery, carrot and onion in olive oil with fresh thyme in a deep heavy pot until onions soften, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, black pepper, garlic and diced potatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in diced ham.
- Whisk together evaporated milk, cornstarch and chives; add to soup and bring to a boil, boiling one minute, stirring constantly, until soup thickens.
- Adjust salt to your taste (I don’t add it earlier because chicken broths vary in saltiness so I adjust at the end of cooking.)
from the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like:
Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chowder
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
This looks good! I think I might try making some today!
I hope you like it! 🙂 ~s
Amazing, chowder Sue, just perfect, a lovely cure for a cold snowy day. We really enjoyed this velvety treat very much. The ham and veg are tender and delicious. The chowder is nicely flavored, a very satisfying meal. Thank you so much for sharing; Made FYC Tag Game 2015.
Glad you liked it, BK!