Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins are jam packed with a wonderful combination of dried Montmorency cherries and chocolate chips.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time once again for Muffin Monday, and this month I decided to share my recipe for cherry chocolate chip recipes which is a bit different from the usual chocolate chip muffin recipes.
The Montmorency cherries in this are just slightly tart, and combined with the deep dark chocolate flavors of the bittersweet baking chips, balance each other nicely. The crystal sugars I used on top are a bit larger than the grain of granulated sugar, so be careful when substituting there.
The bloggers of Muffin Monday have a nice collection of recipes to share with you this moth, so be sure to continue scrolling past the recipe and see those listed on the lower portion of the post.
I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as we do!
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cooled melted butter
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops red food color (optional)
- 3/4 cup Ghiradelli dark bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried Montmorency cherries
- 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Sparkling sugar
- 1/4 cup extra chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Stir together ingredients for muffins.
- Pour batter into muffin cups lining a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Add a few extra chocolate chips to the top and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Apple Carrot Muffins from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Cornmeal Sourdough Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Cinnamon Molasses Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Cranberry White Chocolate Muffins from Making Miracles
- Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Chocolate Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Sour Cream and Green Onion Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spicy and Sweet Hummus Muffins from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Vanilla Yogurt Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
You might also like:
Peanut Butter Banana Road Trip Muffins
Strawberry Sweetheart Steusel Muffins
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
Disclaimer: Dixie Crystals generously provided the sugar used in this recipe but all opinions and content are my own.
Chocolate with cherry is a classic, magical combination. Perfect in a tender muffin, Sue. I need to get my hands on some of those Montmorency cherries!
Oh my Sue…..I love chocolate and cherry combos….these are perfect.
These are so pretty and I’m sure they taste delicious! I have scheduled for social media later today. Kelli
Cherry and chocolate together are always a favorite with me! Sounds delicious!
What a delicious combination of flavors! I bet that the darker chocolate is really set off by the sugar crystals.
I have no idea what kind of dried cherries I’ve got–only that they are from Traverse City, Michigan. How sad is that? I must investigate.
I’ve seen several kinds.
Cherries and Chocolate – a perfect pair.
Yes, it is! Thanks so much!