Kale and Apple Slaw
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I used Breeze apples in this recipe, which if you are not familiar with Breeze, they are an apple from New Zealand that is similar to a Honeycrisp or Braeburn apple. Breeze are very crisp and have a spicy sweet flavor and are known for retaining their bright color without oxidizing quickly. They are a good all-purpose apple, excellent for eating raw or out of hand as well as for baking, cooking, and pies. Having lived in the land of Johnny Appleseed I love many kinds of apples and can be a bit particular about them and can tell you that all apples are not created equal. While some may taste great, they might not work well for uses other than eating (take MacIntosh, for example, which will not hold it’s shape for a pie, but for eating and making sauce it’s great). Breeze being an all-purpose apple, you won’t have to worry about surprises.
They are an early season apple and while Ohio apples won’t be in until July for earlies like Lodi and Transparent, and later months for others until at last in October, the apple season winds down with the last of the Winesap apples, having a good apple to use this time of year is a blessing. Goodness knows we all enjoy having apples to eat and make pies with all year round.
I did use a package mix from Trader Joe’s to make the slaw as I dropped in to pick some kale up. The mix was quite appealing and works nice as will just shredded lacinato kale if you can’t get this particular mix. Flavored with a honey vinaigrette and an assortment of nuts, fruits and crunchies to go with the apples, it is perfectly wonderful to serve with brunch or just anytime. It needs not sit too long to marinate or anything, but will have its best flavor when chilled.
So like the other recipes I have posted this week, I am hoping you enjoy this and leave me a comment to tell me what you think about this recipe as well as Breeze apples. Have you tried them yet? Our local market (Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield) already has in a nice supply!
Kale and Apple Slaw
- 1 large Breeze apple, peeled, cored and julienned
- juice of one lemon
- 10 ounces Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch salad mix or shredded kale
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped honey roasted pecans
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toss apple with lemon juice.
- Combine apple with kale, cranberries, dates, pecans, celery and scallion in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the apple juice, vinegar, oil, honey, poppy seed, salt and black pepper.
- Toss dressing with slaw.
- Refrigerate before serving.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like: