Roman Breakfast Sandwich
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
For my fourth recipe for #BrunchWeek, I decided to do a version of an Amatriciana sandwich which is fashioned after the very popular Roman-style Amatriciana pasta. The pasta dish includes a sauce that has guanciale (a type of cured pork cheek similar to bacon), Pecorino cheese, and tomato. I had seen something done in Italy by a chef who used the guaciale and also included onions. For my version, I wanted it to be a bit like grilled cheese, so I also added soft burrata cheese to it (which is sort of like a cross between ricotta and normal mozzarella cheese) and just used an American style smoked bacon.
One of the #BrunchWeek sponsors, Vidalia Onions, had sent me a package of onions along with some other cool gifts and I was very happy to make those part of this breakfast panini. I always love caramelized onions anyway, especially on a good Wisconsin style butter burger.
The thing I like most about this sandwich is that while Italian is very popular for dinner, outside of a frittata, there aren’t too many things that can be served for brunch, but this makes a welcome change from something like a biscuit sandwich. This is both casual and elegant at the same time. I’d recommend serving it with fresh fruit, breakfast pastries, and a foamy cappuccino.
I do hope you enjoy this- let me know in the comments below! Don’t forget to browse the other recipes in the collection today!
Until next time-
Roman Breakfast Sandwich
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 slices sourdough or ciabatta bread
- 1 lobe burrata mozzarella cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- butter and olive oil, as needed
- Cook bacon and set aside to drain.
- While bacon is cooking, saute the onion and garlic in a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil until caramelized and set aside.
- Spread one side only of the bread slices with soft butter to be ready to grill.
- Spread opposite sides of bread with burrata cheese on one slice and marinara on the other, and fill with crisp cooked bacon, caramelized onion, and a sprinkling of Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Place bread together and grill as you would a grilled cheese in a grill pan or panini pan over low heat until nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
May 5th Recipe Collection
- Aperol Cocktails by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grapefruit Rosemary Mocktails by Sweet Beginnings
- Teh Tarik (Malaysian Pulled Tea) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Homemade Crumpets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cinnamon Scones with Salted Caramel Drizzle by Family Around the Table
- Cannoli French Toast by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Cobblestone Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Orange Popvers by The Chef Next Door
- Pretzel Bagels with Roasted Jalapeno Cream Cheese by The Texan New Yorker
- Strawberries and Cream Sweet Rolls by The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple Fritters by The Suburban Soapbox
- Blueberry Salad with Green Onion-Poppy Seed Dressing by Love & Confections
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Caramelized onion, Bacon, and Cheddar Egg Tart by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Breakfast Quesadillas with Bacon and Cheesy Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet by Brunch-n-Bites
- Crab Souffle by A Day in the LIfe on the Farm
- Picante Omlette Pie by Feeding Big and more
- Slow Cooker Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Breakfast Casserole by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Curried Fish Tacos by Nik Snacks
- Ham and Mushroom Strata by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Croque Monsieurs by Making Miracles
- Roman Breakfast Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Chicken Salad by The Barbee Housewife
- Spiced Marinated Lamb Lollipops by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free Citrus Pastries by Gluten Free Crumbley
You might also like: