Roman Breakfast Sandwich
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
For my fourth recipe for #BrunchWeek, I decided to do a version of an Amatriciana sandwich which is fashioned after the very popular Roman-style Amatriciana pasta. The pasta dish includes a sauce that has guanciale (a type of cured pork cheek similar to bacon), Pecorino cheese, and tomato. I had seen something done in Italy by a chef who used the guaciale and also included onions. For my version, I wanted it to be a bit like grilled cheese, so I also added soft burrata cheese to it (which is sort of like a cross between ricotta and normal mozzarella cheese) and just used an American style smoked bacon.
One of the #BrunchWeek sponsors, Vidalia Onions, had sent me a package of onions along with some other cool gifts and I was very happy to make those part of this breakfast panini. I always love caramelized onions anyway, especially on a good Wisconsin style butter burger.
The thing I like most about this sandwich is that while Italian is very popular for dinner, outside of a frittata, there aren’t too many things that can be served for brunch, but this makes a welcome change from something like a biscuit sandwich. This is both casual and elegant at the same time. I’d recommend serving it with fresh fruit, breakfast pastries, and a foamy cappuccino.
I do hope you enjoy this- let me know in the comments below! And don’t forget that that prize giveaway drawing is still going on (complete info here) which you can sign up on the rafflecopter on that page or down towards the bottom of this one. Don’t forget to browse the other recipes in the collection today!
Until next time-
Roman Breakfast Sandwich
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 slices sourdough or ciabatta bread
- 1 lobe burrata mozzarella cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- butter and olive oil, as needed
- Cook bacon and set aside to drain.
- While bacon is cooking, saute the onion and garlic in a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil until caramelized and set aside.
- Spread one side only of the bread slices with soft butter to be ready to grill.
- Spread opposite sides of bread with burrata cheese on one slice and marinara on the other, and fill with crisp cooked bacon, caramelized onion, and a sprinkling of Pecorino-Romano cheese.
- Place bread together and grill as you would a grilled cheese in a grill pan or panini pan over low heat until nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
May 5th Recipe Collection
- Aperol Cocktails by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grapefruit Rosemary Mocktails by Sweet Beginnings
- Teh Tarik (Malaysian Pulled Tea) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Homemade Crumpets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cinnamon Scones with Salted Caramel Drizzle by Family Around the Table
- Cannoli French Toast by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Cobblestone Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Orange Popvers by The Chef Next Door
- Pretzel Bagels with Roasted Jalapeno Cream Cheese by The Texan New Yorker
- Strawberries and Cream Sweet Rolls by The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple Fritters by The Suburban Soapbox
- Blueberry Salad with Green Onion-Poppy Seed Dressing by Love & Confections
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Caramelized onion, Bacon, and Cheddar Egg Tart by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Breakfast Quesadillas with Bacon and Cheesy Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet by Brunch-n-Bites
- Crab Souffle by A Day in the LIfe on the Farm
- Picante Omlette Pie by Feeding Big and more
- Slow Cooker Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Breakfast Casserole by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Curried Fish Tacos by Nik Snacks
- Ham and Mushroom Strata by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Croque Monsieurs by Making Miracles
- Roman Breakfast Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Chicken Salad by The Barbee Housewife
- Spiced Marinated Lamb Lollipops by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free Citrus Pastries by Gluten Free Crumbley
Click here to enter the Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.
You might also like: