Pork with Gingered Pluots
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Now that the school year is back on again, many busy families are looking for simple and easy meals to get together almost on the run with little time to spare. This week for Sunday Supper, easy skillet meals are the theme, and this simple skillet with quick cooking pork tenderloin and fruity pluot slices is definitely sure to please with a side of rice and a small salad.
It can often be a challenge to find something that is both flavorful and satisfying with little time to spare, but the pluot, which is a cross between an apricot and a plum, suits the pork perfectly as many fruits do. They are quite simple to cut slices from and add to the top of the skillet for the simmering time (when you can easily get your steamed rice and salad together). Kids love the natural sweetness of fruit as well, so it is sure to please everyone.
So without sounding too much like a sales pitch, I do hope you enjoy, because we really did. I have also been on a ginger kick lately and think maybe it gives some sentiment to an Asian type feel since I do make sweet and sour sauce from scratch with plums. I did pick out several different varieties of pluots with differing colors to give that lovely contrast, and many types are available right now at the market. I hope you enjoy. Until next time-
Pork with Gingered Pluots
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- salt and black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, cut into slivers
- 1″ knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (as needed)
- 1 cup fresh apple cider (plus 1-2 tablespoons extra if needed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons berry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 firm ripe pluots, pitted and cut into wedges
- Trim pork and cut into medallions 1/2-inch thick’ flatten each piece by half with a mallet and season w/ salt and black pepper.
- Saute red onion with half the grated ginger in a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Add a couple splashes of apple cider to help them steam along and cook faster if you like, then remove from pan and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add a little more oil to the skillet and brown the pork pies on both sides (I did this in two batches).
- Place half the pork on the bottom of the skillet and top with the onions and then the rest of the pork.
- Whisk together the cup of apple cider with the brown sugar, the berry vinegar, the mustard and the cornstarch.
- Place the pluot slices on top of the pork and cover with the sauce mix.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for thirty minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice. Be careful with the pluots- I dished them up with a spoon since they get very tender (if you want to keep those nice looking until they are on the plate).
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Easy Skillet Recipes
Hosted by Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
You might also like: