Amish Pumpkin Roll is a classic rolled pumpkin sponge cake with a cream cheese filling, made easy using a Silpat.
Amish Pumpkin Roll
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
October is finally here! So brace yourselves, my friends, because that means it’s time for #PumpkinWeek!
One of my favorite pumpkin desserts for autumn (besides the obvious pumpkin pie) happens to be the pumpkin roll. Delicious light sponge cake with a cream cheese filling is just perfect- that is, except for all the recipes telling you to flip a cake onto a towel and…what? What a pain. So to be quite honest, before silpat arrived in my cooking world, the majority of my pumpkin rolls were baked by sweet Amish ladies selling those at farm markets. Who could blame me for taking the easy out?
But, now that silpat is here, this delicious dessert is quite easy work. Much easier than methods shown in years before. So let’s break out the silicone baking mats and get to work! Until tomorrow (with more pumpkin goodness!)—
Amish Pumpkin Roll
Cook: 15 minutes
Prep: 1 hr 15 min
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons “Palatable Pastime Blend” pumpkin pie spice (or your favorite brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- sifted confectioner’s sugar (for dusting), amount to taste
- silpat mat
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place eggs, pumpkin, sugar and vanilla into an electric mixer and whisk until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda,and salt.
- Add flour mix to mixer while running a little at a time, continue whisking until you have a smooth batter.
- Place silpat on an oblong baking sheet and spray side rims of pan with nonstick (just in case).
- Spread batter evenly over silpat and bake for 15 minutes or until spongy and springs back when touched.
- Lift the edge of the silpat (using a hotpad, it will be hot to the touch even if it is silpat) and pull the silpat (with cake) onto a wire rack.
- Roll the silpat up with the cake inside, placing a clean towel on either side so it doesn’t unroll. and allow to cool completely.
- While the cake cools, whisk together the filling ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Place a couple sheets of plastic wrap on your work area and place the silpat on it and carefully unroll.
- Spread the room temperature filling over the cake and sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
- Roll the cake up (leaving the edge of silpat behind) and jimmy the silpat from beneath it onto the plastic wrap.
- Wrap the pumpkin roll in the plastic wrap the and place on a platter; refrigerate until the filling firms up.
- Unwrap and dust with confectioner’s sugar as desired.
- You can trim the ends for presentation if needed, and then slice and serve.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Blogger Friends Celebrating Pumpkin Recipes
check back every day for more recipes!
Adorable Turkey Crust Pumpkin Pie from Kudos Kitchen by Renee.
Amish Pumpkin Roll from Palatable Pastime.
Double Pumpkin Gnocchi from Caroline’s Cooking.
Gigi’s Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Bread from Family Around The Table.
Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal in the slow cooker from Feeding Big.
Lisa’s Pumpkin Soup from Cooking With Carlee.
Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecakes from The Crumby Cupcake.
Pecan Pumpkin Cobbler from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Pumpkin Bread from The Freshman Cook.
Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze from Making Miracles.
Pumpkin Brulee Tart from The Redhead Baker.
Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Rum Icing from Grumpy’s Honeybunch.
Pumpkin Creme Brulee from Love and Confections.
Pumpkin Glazed Bacon from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
Pumpkin Laksa from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Pumpkin Milkshake from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pumpkin Muffins from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.
Pumpkin Pretzel Bites from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
Pumpkin Spice Affogato from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Pumpkin Spice Granola from The Chef Next Door.
Spiced Pumpkin Cider from Gluten Free Crumbley
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like:
Palatable Pantry’s Pumpkin Pie Spice
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
My husband has been after me about making a pumpkin roll. Pinned this recipe to try. Thanks for sharing!
I love pumpkin roll but have never made one. I am intimidated by rolling the cake. This looks delicious – I may have to try it.
I never thought to use my silpat for cake rolls. You’re a genius Sue.
I really need to try making a pumpkin roll because this one looks so delicious!
Love pumpkin rolls!
I’ve always wanted to make a cake roll, but to be honest I’ve shied away due to the whole towel part. Using the silpat is a great idea! Pumpkin rolls are my father-in-law’s favorite too. I may have to try one for him!
I love pumpkin roll and this looks amazing!