Wild Rice and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls #RSC
By Sue Lau Palatable Pastime
Ready, Set, Cook! We are challenging each other in one of my favorite cooking groups, to create recipes using a restricted ingredients list (and nothing that is not on the ingredients list) and then have a face-off of recipes among friends. Sound like fun? It is!
We’ve been playing since our mob was encapsulated inside the community at the old Recipezaar. After the forums there went *kaput* we found new digs elsewhere.
All right Sparky, here’s the deal!
Divided into three rounds. May submit up to one recipe per category.
Must use at least one thing from the mains list, and as many from the pantry list, but nothing else.
Round 1 – Categories:
Round 1 – Main Ingredients List:
Fresh – Citrus fruits/limes/oranges/grapefruit/tamarind
Cheese/ Gruyere, cream cheese, goat cheese, cheddar
Round 1 – Pantry List:
Elbow macaroni/bow-tie pasta
Orange bell pepper
Jarred roasted red bell peppers
Tropical fruit juice
Tea bags/ lose leaf
Ground Spices/ cinnamon/cardamom/nutmeg/allspice/cloves/ginger/star anise
You know I will be doing all four categories. And so for my Side Dish recipe, we have Wild Rice and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls. Enjoy!
Wild Rice and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls
- 1 medium-to-large head green cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons teaspoon minced garlic, divided use
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (8.8 ounces each) packages Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild “Ready Rice” or 17,6 ounces prepared long grain and wild rice
- 2 (15.5 ounces each) cans diced tomatoes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Trim core from cabbage; place in a microwave oven safe baking dish (I used a square pyrex glass baking dish) with about 1/2 cup water. Microwave on high five minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove as many intact whole leaves as possible, then return to microwave to cook a little more to loosen the rest up. You should get about 16 leaves total.
- Once you have them removed, put them in the dish again along with the leftover cabbage (which you can chop) and microwave for five minutes more for additional cooking.
- While the cabbage leaves are being nuked, saute the onion in a nonstick skillet with one teaspoon of the garlic (save the rest of the garlic for the tomato sauce) and olive oil.
- As onions become soft, add the mushrooms and cook until all of that is tender.
- Open the cooked rice packets and crumble the rice; add the onion mushroom mixture to that and stir.
- Open the tomatoes and place in a food processor and pulse until pureed; pour into a bowl and season with salt, pepper, the remaining half teaspoon of garlic, and the sugar.
- Build cabbage rolls by placing 1/4 cup of the rice mixture in the center of the leaf, folding the thicker part over, tucking in the sides and rolling up. Place these seam side down in the slow cooker crock.
- After the bottom layer is in there, ladle some of the tomato sauce over them, then put more cabbage rolls on top until those are done.
- Tuck any chopped cabbage in any holes or over the top and then finish ladling the rest of the tomato sauce over.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until cabbage leaves are as tender as you like (test them with a fork on the thick spot).
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com