Garlic Toasted Cheese Loaf
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Although this garlic toasted cheese loaf is one I am putting into a cooking challenge, it has actually been sitting in my files among other recipes I have created, for quite some time.
I thought of it when I was scoping out the challenge ingredients and knew I already had it made and prepared.
It is an easy recipe- and one I like to have on spaghetti nights or maybe when I have lasagna or shrimp scampi. The bread mopping up shrimp sauce is so yum.
You can also add herbs to this depending on what you have. I tend to put the herb into my dinner and keep the bread more plain.
Add a salad and along with your main, this rounds out the meal.
Ready, Set, Cook!
Another year, another #RSC…
If you recall, a couple weeks ago I told you about #RSC, in that I have been presented with a limited list of cooking ingredients and am confined to that to develop recipes. It’s sort of like a chopped basket.
Here are links to the recipes I created a couple of weeks ago in Round One:
Then I created four more recipes for Round Two:
Also, for those who have followed me online over the years, here is one of the recipes I put in for the first RSC on Recipezaar back in 2002. It won.
Here is another recipe that won in a RSC a different year, and also in a CSM contest:
Ad now it is time for:
Which is the last cooking round for the year, after which we cook each other’s recipes for the round.
I have already made the Bronx Breakfast Sandwich about a week ago if you wish to see. It is my sandwich entry.
For the third round, the ingredients and courses have changed from rounds one and two. The object is to select a course, and create a recipe using one of the main ingredients and anything from the pantry list but nothing else. I wonder…what would you have made with these?
Round 3 – Categories
- Vegetarian Dishes:
Round 3 – Main Ingredients List
- Ground meat/ beef/chicken/turkey
- Pasta – penne/ziti/macaroni/cannelloni/fusilli
- Rice – white/brown
- Flour/ all purpose/bread & roll/whole wheat/rice/potato/cornflour/cornstarch
- Cheese/ Cheddar/Monterey jack/Havarti/Gruyere/Mozzarella
- Mushrooms/ oyster, button, wild, cremini, portabella
- Fresh Leafy Vegetables /Spinach/arugula/cabbage/Swiss chard/beet greens
- Peppers / Sweet red bell/ Poblano pepper/ cayenne peppers – (ground poblano, ground ancho and ground cayenne)
- Hot sauce
- Cucumber (no pickles)
Round 3 – Pantry List
- Cream soup/ mushroom/chicken
- Bread crumbs/ fresh/dried
- Onions/ sweet/red – white/shallots/scallions
- Marinara Sauce/ fresh tomatoes /canned – diced
- Peaches/ apricots/pears/avocado/ cherries
- 1/2 and 1/2 cream/ heavy cream/milk
- Italian seasoning – (dried mix of – oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, rosemary and sage) (not to be used separately)
- Dijon mustard/ original/coarse/smooth
- Condiments /mayonnaise – plain/ketchup/mustard
- Nuts/ walnuts/hazelnuts/pecans/pine nuts
- Vinegar – Red wine/ white balsamic/apple cider
- Dried fruit/ golden raisins/currants/figs/candied ginger/ dried mango/dried pear
- Canned salmon
- Horseradish cream
- Chicken/vegetable broth
- Citrus /orange /lemon
- Potatoes /squash/turnip/ rutabaga
- Jarred pesto sauce red/green/walnut
- Beans/ canned – black/cannellini/chickpeas/pink/kidney/ baked beans
- Sliced meats/ Ham/turkey/salami/chicken/ pastrami/roast beef/pimento loaf/prosicutto
- Fats/ Butter/ olive oil/coconut oil/peanut oil
- Sweetener/ sugar/white/brown/agave
- Baking powder/ baking soda
- Garlic – fresh/powdered
- Bread /rolls/wraps/naan (white, whole wheat, french, Italian, etc) dinner/sandwich roll (no dessert rolls – cinnamon buns, pastries, crossiants, etc) – wraps – (flatbread, pita, flour/corn tortilla)
- Spices – cinnamon,nutmeg, all spice, Chinese 5 spice, ginger, star anise, cardamom, fennel seeds, caraway and cumin
Garlic Toasted Cheese Loaf
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut slits into top of loaf about 1-1/2 inches apart, but not all the way through.
- Mix butter with garlic powder.
- Spread the insides of slits in the loaf with soft garlic butter.
- Stuff the slits with all of the cheese.
- Wrap entirely in nonstick foil (or spray the foil with nonstick spray) and bake for ten minutes at 400F, then open foil to expose the top and
- Bake for ten minutes more.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com