Spicy Asian Chicken Tacos
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
The Ready Set Cook cooking challenge is being continued in one of my cooking groups, and in this second part, I am posting this recipe for Spicy Asian Chicken Tacos for the Main Dish recipes.
I love tacos of any sort, as you can probably tell by my postings. And having them Asian is just a plus, as it reminds me of many Asian appies I have eaten time and again, like Larb or Lettuce Wraps.
So viewing the constricted list of ingredients I was challenged to make a main dish recipe with, these stood right out to me in blinding light. And while I couldn’t hone the tacos in on something like Thai or Korean due to the ingredient limitations, the ones I had were more than plenty to bring on the flavor.
I am quite pleased with the result.
Another year, another #RSC
If you recall, a couple weeks ago I told you about #RSC, in that I have been presented with a limited list of cooking ingredients and am confined to that to develop recipes. It’s sort of like a chopped basket.
Here are links to the recipes I created a couple of weeks ago in Round One:
My Curried Chicken Lollipops appear to be the most well received, although I like them all. I think the ease of that recipe made it popular.
And earlier in the week, I posted my first two RSC recipes for Round 2, one for desserts, another for condiments/sauces/gravies and also one for breakfast/brunch:
Also, for those who have followed me online over the years, here is one of the recipes I put in for the first RSC on Recipezaar back in 2002. It won.
Here is another recipe that won in a RSC a different year, and also in a CSM contest:
I also have had second and third place winners (I played whenever I could) but I don’t recall them all. I’ve been posting for over 15 years and the line of recipes goes back beyond easy memory. I’d have to take the old brain and think on it. 😉
#RSC Round Two
For the second round, the ingredients and courses have changed from round one. The object is to select a course, and create a recipe using one of the main ingredients and anything from the pantry list but nothing else. I wonder…what would you have made with these?
Round 2 – Theme – Spring – Categories :
- Main Dishes
Round 2 – Main Ingredients List
- Yellow cornmeal
- Fresh papaya
- Heavy cream
- Berries/ blueberries/raspberries/blackberries/strawberries/cranberries
- Herbs/fresh – mint/cilantro/parsley/chives
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Tart cherries
Round 2 – Pantry List
- Soy sauce
- Chicken /vegetable broth
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetables (tomatoes allowed as a pseudo-veg)
- Old-fashioned oats
- Baking soda
- Flour/ white/brown/baking/rice/potato/corn
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar/ white/icing/brown/yellow
- Baking powder
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Plain gelatin
- Certo – (thickener for jam/jelly)
- Hot Sauce
- Ginger/ nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice/mace/cardamom/star anise/coriander/fennel/caraway/anise seeds
- Sour cream/ creme fraiche/thick yogurt
Spicy Asian Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6-8 taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix, chopped until finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- extra sriracha sauce (optional)
- Cook ground chicken, onions and garlic in butter until browned, keeping the heat low enough not to burn the butter.
- Stir in the ginger root, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper, cooking until mixture is thick and crumbly like taco meat.
- Heat flour tortillas on a griddle.
- Place cooked chicken, coleslaw mix, chopped peanuts and cilantro on tortillas, adding extra hot sauce if you like it spicier.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You Might Also Like: