Bacon-wrapped almond-stuffed dates with a devilishly sweet and spicy glaze make a perfectly elegant party nibble.
Devils on Horseback
My recipe of the day for today is all about those appetizers you want to have in abundance for your New Year’s Eve party. Simple and elegant, Devils on Horseback are a bacon-wrapped almond stuffed date with a sweet and spicy glaze.
The appetizer itself is a variation of angels on horseback, which are bacon wrapped oysters.
One of the things I like best about them is that you can prep these ahead and just give a light reheat before serving to minimize time spent in the kitchen when entertaining.
New Year’s Eve Appetizers
Among Blogging Friends
- Cheese Steak Egg Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Roasted TriColored Pepper Salsa by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Shrimp Puffs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms by Simple and Savory
- Sweet Potato Rounds with Maple-Cinnamon Ricotta Cheese, Dried Cranberries & Pecans by Tip Garden
- Vegan 7 Layer Black Bean Dip by The Baking Fairy
Devils on Horseback
- 1 dozen large Madjool dates
- 24 whole almonds
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 wooden toothpicks (no frill)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- Slit open dates on one side and remove pit.
- Place 1-2 almonds inside and wrap with 1/2 slice bacon.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Place stuffed dates on nonstick foil on a baking sheet.
- Bake dates for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Stir together the honey, soy sauce, and sriracha.
- Drizzle with half the honey mixture and bake 15 minutes more.
- Drizzle with remaining honey mixture and bake 10 minutes more.
- Replace wooden toothpicks with frilled toothpicks for serving.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
It’s always great when you can have appetizers made ahead. I love this twist on the angels on horseback.
I love that you can reheat these! I bet they’d fly off the plate.
These sound delicious! I love the combination of hot, sweet and spicy.
I love all the flavors in these yummy looking appetizers! The sauce you drizzled on top sounds amazing!
Dates AND bacon, I’m all over this!
What a wonderful mix of sweet and savory! I think I’d much prefer these over oysters, too!
Not vegan, but I think we could do a workaround to solve that with facon and sf honey.
Anything wrapped in bacon is delicious. Yum!