Delicious soft rice paper rolls filled with spicy chicken, rice noodles, and a deliciously spicy chili dipping sauce. Like Thai Larb but packaged in an easy to eat container. If you don’t have toasted rice powder that you have bought or already made, toast rice in a dry skillet until it is a nice nutty brown; then grind in in a spice grinder or coffee mill and use a sieve to strain out unground bits.
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 minced fresh red Thai chillies
- 1 teaspoon Splenda (brown sugar blend)
- 1/2 whole lime (fresh lime juice and zest)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted rice powder
- 2 1/2 ounces dry rice vermicelli
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai holy basil, chopped
- 6 large rice paper wrappers (banh trang)
- SPICY THAI DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (sweet Thai chili sauce (Mae Ploy) or Thai chili and ginger sauce (Thai Kitchen)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Splenda (brown sugar blend)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Brown and crumble chicken, minced chillies and chopped onions in peanut oil in a nonstick skillet until cooked through; remove from heat.
Stir in Splenda brown, fresh lime juice, fish sauce, and roasted rice powder; allow to cool.
Cook rice vermicelli in boiling water for 1 minute; drain and run cold water over it to stop cooking.
Stir together ingredients for dipping sauce and set aside.
Snip cooked noodles into smaller pieces. place in a mixing bowl with cooked chicken, green onions, thai basil and mint; stir until mixed.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Take rice papers one at a time and submerge in water until it softens, about 15 seconds or so.
Remove rice paper from water and swat each side against dry paper toweling, then place on a flat surface. Place 1/2 cup meat/vermicelli mixture in the center of rice paper, fold sides over, then fold bottom end over and roll up.
Repeat with 5 other rice papers.
Serve immediately with dipping sauce (soft rolls do not hold well).