Irish Banger Dogs is a fun and delicious way to serve traditional Irish bangers (sausages) for an easy lunch!
I love to have bangers and mash and have a recipe posted for that (Beer Bangers and Mash), but it is fun sometimes to think outside of the box and take this cute little sausages and dress them up on a bun like a hot dog. Not just a typical hot dog though! This one I put together with sauteed cabbage and onion, Irish cheddar cheese and a deliciously zippy sauce for the top.
It will make your eyes sparkle green!
Great with a potato side dish (Twice Cooked Irish Cheddar Potatoes, anyone?) or chips with malt vinegar, and maybe even a Black & Tan or a Blacksmith to give your St. Patrick’s Day a *little* kick, these are a sure pub food celebration.
I hope you enjoy!
Irish Banger Dogs
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Irish Banger Dogs
- 1/2 pound Irish banger sausages
- 2 ounces Irish cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup Irish lager beer (such as Rogue or Harp)
- salt and black pepper
- 4 hot dog potato buns, toasted
Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet with a small amount of butter or oil, cook bangers on all sides until cooked through, then set aside and keep warm.
- Melt butter in the same skillet and add onions, and cook until they begin to brown, then add cabbage and continue to stir until they wilt; then add lager beer and salt and pepper and cook until tender.
- Whisk together ingredients for sauce; toast hot dog buns.
- Place some cheese in the bottom of the bun and place 1/4 of the bangers on top (mine were really small this time so I used two); I microwaved mine for about 15 seconds on high to soften the cheese.
- Top bangers with some of the sauteed veggies and spoon some of the sauce over the top; sprinkle with a few extra chives if desired.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like: