By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I am really excited to be hosting Sunday Supper this week with grilling as the theme: “Throw Something on the Barbie!”
Mattel’s Ken jokes aside, there are many things we can choose to throw on the Barbie. And with me being somewhat of a barbecue fanatic, I knew this theme was one I would enjoy. Because I have been eating barbecue all my life. And my Dad was a true believer in cooking it low and slow. Summer days would be spent at barbecues with kids in the pool with the sun setting and the crickets chirping before we set hands on it. I remember one time running around in the dark at my cousin’s home with Corine and Dianne and R.D., everyone with a sticky rib in their hands acting like wild cavemen. Who knows? Maybe with so much sunshine all day long we were getting a bit punchy. But barbecue has helped shape the memories of my life. And the beauty of it is that it will continue to do so in the future. I can’t go long without bbq. I even had bbq ribs and chicken tonight even though I had it out instead of home (it’s been raining a bit here).
And while rain doesn’t deter me (and neither does the cold), sometimes the cook enjoys a night off.
And this recipe isn’t the usual style of bbq, but it is something served at Mexican restaurants in the area (I have had it in a few places and one for sure calls it Chicken Mazatlan, although what it has to do with Mazatlan, I have no idea. Maybe it’s just a gimmick.)
But it’s good- either by itself, or you could heat up some tortillas, slice the chicken and have it a bit of fajita style. And have some frozen margaritas with this. Just because. They have yet to go out of style!
Until next time-
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, pounded thin
- Seasoning: taco seasoning, to taste; or use garlic powder or adobo seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 cup warm Mexican Queso Cheese (see recipe link or use store bought)
- Pound out chicken and season to taste with your choice of seasoning.
- Grill chicken until cooked through along with grilling veggies in a grill basket.
- Cover cooked chicken with queso cheese to serve, along with grilled vegetables.
- Goes well with Spanish rice, refried beans and warm tortillas (or whatever you like to serve this with).
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Throw Something on the Barbie!
Hosted by Sue of Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Articholes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
You might also like: