Traditional Persian eggplant khoresh stew (Bademjan) made vegan with the use of plant based foods.
Vegan Khoresh Bademjan
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I first started cooking Persian food back in the 1970’s and khoresh bademjan was the very first dish I made. It’s usually a meat based stew with beef or lamb and eggplant in a tomato based sauce that is served over basmati rice.
Although I am not vegan, the eggplant was always my favorite part, but making it without something else in there left it kind of plain. I know I have made things like this with various grains or extra vegetables. If you like something that sort of has the texture of meat, bulgur is very good. It is somewhat like ground beef and one of my favs to put into chili to give the expected consistency.
It was just last year that I tried the Beyond Burgers for the first time- as a patty on a bun, and I was amazed. And when I saw they made crumbles as well, they really are the perfect choice for healthy plant-based protein without losing the comfort quality you would get with meat.
And don’t get me wrong- I love meat, but I am an omnivore. I love eating a variety of foods. When vegan and vegetarian options present themselves in delicious ways, it makes perfect sense.
So for January, my blogging friends and I have put together a round-up of delicious vegan ideas. Take a peek and see for yourself! There is something for every different meal, and so many different cuisines!
- Vegan Burrito Bowls with Jackfruit Carnitas by The Baking Fairy
- Baba Ganoush by Lemon Blossoms
- Creamy Vegan Curry Bean Soup by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Delicata Squash Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dipping Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Instant Pot Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by The Live-In Kitchen
- Instant Pot Chipotle Sofritas by Herbivore Cucina
- Moroccan Eggplant with Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Veggies with Satay Peanut Sauce by Hardly A Goddess
- Scrambled Tofu with Sweet Potato & Kale Hash by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Artichoke Hummus by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites by Cook With Renu
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwiches by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Vegan Cannellini Rocket Tortilla Pizza by The Fiery Vegetarian
- Vegan Cookie Dough Energy Balls by Veggie Lexi
- Vegan Cranberry Apple Chickpea Salad by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
- Vegan Khoresh Bademjan by Palatable Pastime
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Tofu by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Superfood Breakfast Cookies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrots with Peanuts by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vegan Vanilla Chai Oatmeal by Fairyburger
- Vegetable Chettinad (Vegan Spicy Vegetable Curry) by Flavours Treat
As a Persian entree, this khoresh is best served on steamed basmati rice. Traditional accompaniments would include a tray of fresh herbs with raw vegetables, salad irooni, cucumbers in soy yogurt, pita bread, hot tea afterwards with some type of sweet.
Vegan Khoresh Bademjan
Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds globe eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 (10 ounces each) packages Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook onions and eggplant in olive oil until soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, water and lemon juice to sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown crumbles in oil and season with cinnamon, turmeric and lemon.
- Stir into sauce and heat through.
- Serve over rice.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com