Hearty and healthy rib sticking vegan stew is a perfect comfort food.
Healthy Vegan Vegetable Stew
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Welcome to the third day of #RecipeMakeover. Today I am serving up one of my favorite vegan recipes, which is essentially a clean-the-veggie-bin stew. You see, as a foodie, I tend to go crazy at the farmer’s markets and produce stands, often buying far more vegetables than I realistically plan to use, because face it. They are beautiful and delicious and always attractive to my eye.
And even though I do eat meat, I often crave tons of veggies just as my husband does, so making a meal with nothing but veggies can often be the plan. I find this kind of stew to be rib-sticking, hearty, a great main dish, and it is often my go to type of meal when I am feeling run down, as it makes me feel better instantly.
Of course, if you like meat, you can always add some to this, but there are so many good veggies in here, who needs it? But if you do, add the braising types of meat with the onions browning, then don’t add the rest of the veggies yet, but the broth (and you can coat the browned beef or pork with flour.) Chicken is easily added, but I often add pieces of roasting chicken as I don’t care much for chicken boiled in the pot. It takes all the flavor out of the meat, and as Dame Maggie Smith (as Charlotte) might say in the classic romantic movie “A Room with a View” when she and Helena Bonham Carter (as Lucy) were dining at the hotel and Smith coldly and abruptly blurts out “This meat tastes as if it’s been boiled!” (You see, many unscrupulous chefs might boil the beef to get more flavor for their demi glace and reductions, and pass off the offending tasteless meats to unsuspecting customers, but you know Smith’s character- she’s pretty sharp!)
But with meat or without meat, you should find this stew pretty tasty! Especially since the salsify adds a slight oyster character to the flavor profile while still being perfectly vegan.
Don’t forget to scroll down the page to enter into the prize giveaway. You get extra chances for following the sponsors and the participating bloggers. And below that should be the frog linkup which will show you the recipes shared today.
#RecipeMakeover continues Thursday and Friday as well. I’ll be back sharing my recipe for Pumpkin Powerhouse Pancakes on Thursday with Barleans products and on Friday I finish up with a recipe for a low-carb Greek Cauli-Rice side dish. Join me each day and good luck in the drawing! I hope one of my readers wins!
Healthy Vegan Vegetable Stew
- 12 ounces chopped onion
- 4-6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, rinsed well and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces carrots (mixed colors) diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 12 ounces portobello mushrooms, (dark gills scraped out) and diced
- 7-1/2 ounces salsify, peeled and diced
- 15 ounces potato, peeled and diced
- 18 ounces rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dry herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- vegetable broth (to cover)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot and add the onion, garlic and leeks, cooking until they soften.
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, salsify, potato, rutabaga, herbs, thyme, rosemary, salt and black pepper, then stir in the flour to coat.
- Add enough vegetable broth to cover, stirring to mix well, then stir in the tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
This week, I’ve joined forced with 40+ of my food blogger friends to present #RecipeMakeover. During this week, we’ll all be sharing our favorite better-for-you alternatives to unhealthy dishes. Follow along on any of the blogs below or with the hashtag on social media to find nutritious dishes that are packed with flavor.
A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.
Enter the Giveaway Here!
you get a chance with each one you follow
Thank you to all of our participating bloggers. Click the links below to find out what recipes they’re cooking up for #RecipeMakeover:
The PinterTest Kitchen • Fix Me a Little Lunch • Rosie Discovers • crave the good • Zesty South Indian Kitchen • That Recipe • The Domestic Dietitian • Authentically Candace • Eat, Drink, Be Healthy! • Body Rebooted • Cindy’s Recipes and Writings • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Feeding Big • Natural Contents • Seduction In The Kitchen • Everyday Eileen • Family Around The Table • Fairyburger • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Kitchen Counter Chronicles • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats • Chocolate Slopes • Little House Big Alaska • Makes, Bakes and Decor • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • Meadoe Out on a Limb • Strawberry Blondie Kitchen • Mel Claire • Cookaholic Wife • For the Love of Food • The Saucy Southerner • Cook’s Hideout • Two Lazy Gourmets • Ink and Sugar • Cookingwithsapana • The Chef Next Door • Sarah Cooks the Books • Chef Sarah Elizabeth • Frankly Entertaining • Palatable Pastime • Our Good Life • The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine • A Day in the Life on the Farm
Stay tuned to see all of the delicious recipes bloggers create during #RecipeMakeover! Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes: