Jack O’ Lantern Deviled Eggs
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is twofold: my version of the classic Southern pimento cheese spread, plus a really cute way to dish it up for Halloween parties or fun snacking.
The Quest for the Best….Halloween Eats
I love looking at clever Halloween ideas for the kids or to serve my friends at Halloween parties. But I have to admit it becomes a bit of a challenge to come up with something that isn’t just….weird.
Oh, I have made the skull meatloaf before. And my meatloaf is pretty freaking tasty, but not when it looks like a gross severed head. *laughs*
So I sit around trying to dream things up, then tossing ideas out of the window if they don’t have some shred of normal to them. Because I admit it. I am a bit of a nerd who likes somewhat “normal food”.
Cute but not Strange or Gross
The Jack O’ Lantern concept works for me. Deviled eggs are usually pretty mundane but people like them at parties and potlucks. There is no weird flavor here- just the pimento cheese which I have stuffed in eggs before. And the decoration is somewhat the same as the pimiento peppers, being peppers after all. And really, only take a few minutes extra.
One Tip You’ll Need
The only caution I say is to slice the orange peppers really thin or they tend to stick up straight as a stick. They bend to the curve easier if more is trimmed away. So enjoy, and try not to eat them all yourself!
You’ll possibly have extra pimento cheese depending on if you just do some for a family or do a ton for a party. I have added some ideas below.
You Might Also Like:
Jack O’ Lantern Deviled Eggs
Other uses for Pimento Cheese:
Pimento cheese makes a great spread as well for things like buttery crackers or a dipper for crudite like celery and carrot sticks.
It’s great on top of burgers instead of the usual slice of American cheese. A dab on top of a fried green tomato is just heaven.
And perfect on a toasted bagel in the morning if you are looking for a different breakfast idea.
Of course, making sandwiches is a great way to enjoy pimento cheese- not only schmearing on crusty bread.But it also makes a delicious filling for grilled cheese sandwiches.
Jack O' Lantern Deviled Eggs
Pimento Cheese Spread: (yield 2 cups)
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 ounce jar diced pimiento peppers drained
For Jack O' Lantern Deviled Eggs:
- hard cooked eggs
- green bell pepper
- orange bell pepper
- paprika for garnish
To make pimento cheese:
- Place shredded cheddar, cream cheese, mayonnaise, paprika. salt, pepper and onion powder into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Add diced pimientos and pulse a few times until mixed.
- Chill before serving.
- Makes 8 1/4-cup servings if used in sandwiches, etc.
To make deviled eggs:
- Cut hard-cooked eggs in half and save yolks for another use (like adding to tossed salad or putting in egg salad (or chicken salad or tuna salad).
- Fill cavities with pimento cheese.
- Garnish with snips of green bell pepper for stems and very thin slivers of orange bell pepper for the lines.
- Uses about one tablespoon of pimento cheese per egg half.