By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Basque Chicken is my recipe of the day with my blogging group Baking Bloggers. We get together once a month and bake up a new and tasty recipe for you on a topic voted on by the group.
This month the group decided on the baking of Spain.
For my selection I decided on Basque Chicken, which has both Spanish and French influences, as it comes from the mountainous regions of the Pyrenees which falls within both countries.
May 2020: Baking of Spain
- Basque Chicken from Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Catalan Coca from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flan De Leche Condensada from Sneha’s Recipe
- Magdalenas (Spanish Muffins) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Patatas Panaderas from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pescado al Horno con Gambas from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- San Marcos Cake from Pandemonium Noshery
- Spanish Olive Oil Muffins (Magdalenas) from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Spanish Potato Bake from Making Miracles
- Tarta de Santiago from Caroline’s Cooking
- Tortilla de Patatas from Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
I love baked chicken dishes anyway so it wasn’t a difficult choice for me. And cooking with wine. I do love that.
All the flavors infuse in there, from the chicken and peppers to the tomatoes and olives.
What a perfect dish to pile atop any respectful base such as rice, noodles, or polenta. And sop up the juices with a thick slice of crusty French bread. Just thinking on it makes me hungry again! How about you?
You Might Also Like:
- 3-3.5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- 4-5 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 bell peppers 2 red, 1 green
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup assorted olives
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brown chicken in oil, then set aside.
- Saute the garlic, bell peppers and onion in a little oil and then place that into a lasagna type baking pan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and place chicken pieces on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165-170F).
- Serve with rice, noodles, or potatoes.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which offer sources for ingredients and equipment, if needed. Clicking on them doesn’t cost you anything but helps pay the electric bill and keep the blog lights on should you purchase anything during your visit! Thanks for your support.