By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Enchiritos is my recipe of the day. These are a knockoff copycat version of the Taco Bell enchiritos which was recently discontinued. Much to the dismay of enchirito lovers everywhere.
The enchirito is quite similar to the Tex-Max wet burrito which I have a recipe for if you scroll down the page.
These are not enchiladas per se, because they do not include a corn tortilla, which defines that item. If a flour tortilla is used and smothered, then it is a wet burrito, or Enchirito (as Taco Bell marketed it).
You Might Also Like:
First, I have Texas style wet burritos smothered in sauce and cheese. This is the traditional way to make the smothered burrito.
Then there are the Bell Beefers (Taco Sloppy Joes) which are a Mexican-style Sloppy Joe sandwich. And are made the way Taco Bell used to make them back in the day.
If you like cheese dips, this smooth creamy cheese dip is perfect with chips and can also double as a cheese sauce.
Also, the Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza is easy to make at home. It uses simple methods and ingredients instead of making a run for the border. And can be baked or fried, as you prefer.
If you are dodging carbs, this naked taco is an at home version of the Taco Bell breakfast taco, sans shell.
Enchirito Filling: (makes 4.5 cups)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounce packet taco skillet sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 15 ounce can refried beans
- 8 ounces Taco Bell mild sauce
- 10 ounce can La Preferida red chile enchilada sauce
- 6 extra large burrito size flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/4 cups sliced ripe black olives
- Brown beef with minced onion, salt and black pepper; drain fat.
- Stir in the taco skillet sauce, broth and refried beans.
- Simmer until thick, about 20 minutes.
- To build, warm the flour torts to soften.
- Fill each tortilla with 3/4 cup filling and roll up with the seam facing down.
- Cover enchirito with 1/2 cup of the sauce, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 2 tablespoons slice ripe black olives.
- Microwave to warm and melt the cheese or you can do this in a baking dish in a low oven if you prefer.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!