“Nicely different way to serve chicken with pasta- great with the sweet roasted flavor of red peppers.
I use Dreamfield’s penne pasta in this- low glycemic and it really does taste like regular penne.
You can use jarred roasted peppers in this, but I roasted my own out on the grill the day before when I barbecued. Cher them until black, then toss them in a bowl and cover the bowl; let them cool off. The charred skin slips right off. Don’t rinse them. Any little blackened bits that hang around are ok. You can slit them and cut out the seed ball and toss the stem as well. If using within a few days, drizzle them with olive oil and refrigerate, although roasted peppers freeze well in ziplock freezer bags.
You could also make this pasta with salsiccia or meatballs if you want. Shrimp would be good too.
- —–Creamy Red Pepper Sauce—–
- 8 ounces fire roasted red pepper, drained if jarred
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream, half and half or a blend
- —–For the Pasta—–
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, slivered
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 12 ounces jarred artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese
Puree roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, and heavy cream in a food processor.
Heat oil in a large skillet; add onions and chicken, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and cook until chicken is about halfway done.
Then add white balsamic vinegar and mushrooms, cooking further until mushrooms and chicken are done.
Stir in artichokes, basil leaves and red pepper sauce, heating until hot and basil is wilted.
Toss mixture with cooked penne pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.