Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I know I told you I had Swedish Pancakes going up today, but I had the date written down wrong and it will be going up tomorrow with the rest of the #BreadBakers blogging group. So quickly switching gears, I have this tasty beef recipes in my files and thought I would share it.
You’ll notice right away that I don’t cook my beef in the bbq sauce. And let me explain why. Sauce gets all greasy and watered down that way. So I don’t want it to be the braising liquid. I just want a smoky, spicy, tomato flavor permeating it with a couple aromatics such as onion and garlic. Then when it is tender enough to shred from the long slow cooking process, it is time to drain away the braise liquid and replace it with sauce. If you want to be frugal, you can save that braise liquid, refrigerate it and pull off the fat that solidifies at the top, and use the liquid in something like chili. Just freeze it until you need it. I mean, it will have nice beef flavor in it, so why waste it?
And now, when I say I’ll be posting my Swedish Pancake recipe tomorrow, you can be certain I have it right this time. They are really wonderful topped with a bit of strawberry butter and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. I had a friend from Sweden who told me she always liked the strawberries better than lingonberries and that she thought it was more popular over there. I have to say I love either, but strawberries really do catch my heart around Valentine’s Day.
Wednesday is officially “I have no idea yet” day….rofl! But Thursday I have a Strawberries and Cream Bundt cake to post with the #BundtBakers blogging group. See what I mean about the strawberries? They are everywhere. Friday I will be posting with the #FishFridayFoodies group with a recipe for Fish Bhuna, as part of a collection of fish curry recipes. And Saturday I will be posting with the #SoupSwappers with my recipe for Irish Leek and Parsnip Soup. Can you believe February is half gone already? Oh and don’t worry about Wednesday. I have so many recipes I haven’t published yet it is not even funny. If I miss posting, it won’t be from a lack of ready to go content. So I hope to see you all week long!
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly minced onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 cups spicy tomato juice (not V-8)
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 bottle bbq sauce or about 2 cups homemade (Beer BBQ Sauce Recipe Here)
- 6 large sandwich rolls or ciabatta, split and toasted
- Season beef with salt and black pepper, then sear with onion and garlic in a large skillet.
- Place in crockpot with tomato juice and liquid smoke.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Lift out the beef and shred, then return to crockpot with the bbq sauce and heat on high for thirty minutes or until hot.
- Serve hot sauced beef on sandwich rolls.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com