Healthy Buttermilk Pie
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week, I am joining a blogging group to get back into the full swing of Spring by sharing recipes made healthier for you. Eating healthier need not involve drastic changes- little things here and there can really make a difference, like using more fresh vegetables, or cutting back on refined sugars. But we can still enjoy the occasional treat.
As in this buttermilk pie makeover by Virginia Willis. Normally this pie would clock in with twice the added sugar and butter. But I swear to you I have tried this and it simply will not be missed. You can find more of her recipes in her book Lighten Up, Y’all.
Make sure you see all the recipes shared below the printout, and be sure to sign up for the wonderful giveaway from the event sponsors.
And make sure you check back with me tomorrow for more recipe fun! I’ll be sharing my recipe using Smokin’ O’s in a rocking recipe for Dry Rub Buffalo Wings. Wednesday I’ll be sharing my recipe for a healthy Vegetable Stew. Thursday I’ll be posting my recipe for Powerhouse Pumpkin Pancakes with Barlean’s Coconut Oil and Digestive Blend. And on Friday I’ll finish up the week with my recipe for Greek Cauli-Rice, a healthy low-carb side dish perfect for the upcoming grilling season with steaks and kebabs everywhere. Join me each day!
Healthy Buttermilk Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large pastured organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 single layer pie crust, partially blind-baked
- strips of aluminum foil and pie weights
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, salt, buttermilk, eggs, cooled melted butter and vanilla.
- Place pie crust in a pie plate and crimp edges. Top with pie weights on top of parchment on the crust and blind bake the crust for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- Pour filling into the blind-baked crust and sprinkle the top with a little nutmeg.
- Shield the edges of the pie crust with strips of aluminum foil or a commercial pie shield.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes (check the center with a knife).
- Cool completely.
(Recipe by Virginia Willis)
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
This week, I’ve joined forced with 40+ of my food blogger friends to present #RecipeMakeover. During this week, we’ll all be sharing our favorite better-for-you alternatives to unhealthy dishes. Follow along on any of the blogs below or with the hashtag on social media to find nutritious dishes that are packed with flavor.
A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.
Thank you to all of our participating bloggers. Click the links below to find out what recipes they’re cooking up for #RecipeMakeover:
The PinterTest Kitchen • Fix Me a Little Lunch • Rosie Discovers • crave the good • Zesty South Indian Kitchen • That Recipe • The Domestic Dietitian • Authentically Candace • Eat, Drink, Be Healthy! • Body Rebooted • Cindy’s Recipes and Writings • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Feeding Big • Natural Contents • Seduction In The Kitchen • Everyday Eileen • Family Around The Table • Fairyburger • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Kitchen Counter Chronicles • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats • Chocolate Slopes • Little House Big Alaska • Makes, Bakes and Decor • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • Meadoe Out on a Limb • Strawberry Blondie Kitchen • Mel Claire • Cookaholic Wife • For the Love of Food • The Saucy Southerner • Cook’s Hideout • Two Lazy Gourmets • Ink and Sugar • Cookingwithsapana • The Chef Next Door • Sarah Cooks the Books • Chef Sarah Elizabeth • Frankly Entertaining • Palatable Pastime • Our Good Life • The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine • A Day in the Life on the Farm
Stay tuned to see all of the delicious recipes bloggers create during #RecipeMakeover! Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes: